Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Foil Kiting West/North Van, possible?

Kitesurfing shop talk

by dan.e » Fri May 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Living in North Van and I'm wondering if investing in a foil would open up possibilitiesfor me locally. Anyone has experience?

Is there enough of a thermal effects in the summer to kite @ Ambleside on a foil ?

What type of set up would I be looking at ?

Cheers,
Dan
dan.e

by max.spock » Fri May 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Good question..in general unless you are available everyday between 12pm and 3pm I would say that it makes more sense to drive to Squamish. To be honest I've asked myself that same question many times.
max.spock

by adam2 » Fri May 08, 2020 5:18 pm

Having grown up longboard windsurfing as a kid almost daily in the summers in Ambleside I clearly remember how bad the wind was. Sure it gets the occasionalgreat SW frontal wind in the spring, but the local topography does a great job making the predominant NW summer winds super light. Ambleside makes Jericho feel like Squamish.
adam2

by gabor » Fri May 08, 2020 7:42 pm

As far as I know in the summer /pre-covid 19/ you were not allowed to kite at Ambleside. The life guards season is the no kite season just as on the Spanish bank side. Before and after you can add sessions to your log by having a foil kite /say 12m- 19m/ + hydro foil set up. My 2 cents...
gabor

by dan.e » Sat May 09, 2020 3:04 pm

I was looking at the charts from the hollyburn sail club and it didn't look to promising. Looks like it's time to invest in a mountain bike for my local activity.
dan.e

by JonathanP » Sat May 09, 2020 4:44 pm

Point Atkinson graph blows a fair bit more than jericho, but that might just be the sensor location up high. Long walk and probably sketchy trying to launch at the bottom of a cliff though! Might be able to slog to the wind line on a floater windsurf board from somewhere around there though? Whytcliff park or Stearman beach maybe?
JonathanP

by dan.e » Sat May 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Yeah Pt. Atkinson is beautiful. Very exposed and gets wind. I think it'd require some "creativity" to consistently and safely launch at that spot. Straight up rock. Never say never though.

I got skunked at Stearman the one time I went there (Pt.Atkinson was blowing 30 + kts that day), I think it's in a bit of a shadow.
dan.e

by AlexK » Mon May 11, 2020 3:08 pm

You could say I am a North Shore kid.
I have sailed there quite a bit lately over the last 5yrs. Beats driving to Jericho or White Rock for sure. Yes a foil gives u the upwind ability, the small sail the ease. And it is a lot smoother over the large swells and chop u face out there. I kind of luv it.

On a SE it is quite good. Very flat. I launch from Caulfield cove off the sandy beach all year round whenever it blows and if I am around. Some days u can just cruise the cove, other days if more East u need to be almost out of it.

On NW it is a sketchy exit with the foil and I have tried numerous launches. What I have settled on is throwing my gear off the wharf at Tiddly cove and prone paddling to the windline close to the point. Its easy on your gear. The wind will come around Lighthouse Park and can be gusty (but u can uphaul and get out into the windline). I have yet to try rigging the sail off my board (like the pros do) as it would make for an easier paddle out. Once u hit the windline u r gone, just look out for ships.

I don't like the launch at Stearman as it is super shallow and a long walk out across pebbles and barnacles. But if u hit the right day and tide it can be very rewarding.

One caveat is that it basically shuts down in summer and Squamish much much better, stronger, steadier. So no point. It is nice in fall and spring.Winter if not skiing or on the same day for a double D.
AlexK

by AlexK » Mon May 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Sorry
I didn't see that perhaps you are trying to kite there?
For that, forget it. It is a shipping lane. There are no really clear launches for lines and coming back in. Trees overhanging and so forth. Very strong current.

Best is experienced with a windsurfer and foil. As you can launch from those areas safely in a 2 square meter area and get back. Also if the shit hits the fan and it just shuts down you can paddle in.

All best and good luck
AlexK

Return to Kiteboarding