Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Thursday NW dawn patrol

Kitesurfing shop talk

by juandesooka » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:09 pm

That’s great intel, thanks. Definitely will add that to the list of options, for those days when it’s clearly windier outside but not getting into the Bay.

Also good to know about SUP foils out there. I don’t have much interest in surfing or sup’ing wind swell (west coast snob). But I am all over SUP foiling weak junky waves! And if it’s clothing optional, even better, Hang 11 yeww! ;-)
juandesooka

by Slappy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Since it's before lifeguard hours and the tide was low you should go to the Jericho pier if you are foiling, you get deep water without the walk. Also, if you are wing surfing then you don't need to worry about lifeguard hours as it's allowed to launch from the West side of Jericho pier just as the windsurfers are.

For chasing your board down, it's not actually the wind that takes your board so fast away from you, it's the wave action on the foil. It's basically a motor driving the board straight downwave regardless of the wind direction. With my hydrofoil setup I have to swim full bore to catch my board if the wing stays submerged after a fall. If the kite is in the air you can just loop your way back to it though.

If you watch the fall at 9:11 here you can see how fast my board gets away.

WB is pretty shit for windsports because of the hill effect from the cliff. It's bad from the East tower at Tower Beach all the way to Wreck. If it's low tide it's not bad because you'll be 300m upwind of the cliff.
Slappy

by juandesooka » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks for the tip about deeper water at Jericho … explains why the foil crew are focused down there. This morning, wind seemed strongest to the west, at least judging by caps … light to west, nothing to east. Though perhaps that is influenced by current too.

Good to know about WB cliffs too, explains why it’s not the local kite hotspot, when on the sat map it sure looks optimal.

Leashes…never an issue with a kite, as long as it’s still in the air. But body dragging a wing? No idea. Man o man is that ever a helpless feeling to watch the board drift away faster than you can swim. Sure do need to get back into the pool swimming laps. YIKES
juandesooka

by roydpm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:33 am

How do you like the Gong wing? I have the gong foil for sup surf and looking at adding the wing? Thanks
roydpm

Previous

Return to Kiteboarding