Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Thursday NW dawn patrol

Kitesurfing shop talk

by juandesooka » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:48 am

Forecast shows some NW wind first thing on Thursday. Maybe a pre-work session at Spanish Banks ... can you get away with launching on the main beach if early? what time do the lifeguards start work?

Or maybe try the surf wing, no launch issues!
juandesooka

by Slappy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:49 am

Yeah, as long as you launch before 11:30 no issues.

Did you end up buying a wing or did you DIY project work out?
Slappy

by juandesooka » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:18 pm

I DIY'ed with a 5m prodigy a few times. Worked ok, but decided to buy a proper one, so I could isolate the problems and identify if the difficulties were the gear or me. :D

I bought a Gong 5m, as they are about 30-40% cheaper than the other brands. After 5 or so sessions, I am fairly comfortably foiling with dominant stance and awkwardly foiling goofy foot. It needs wind, 15kt minimum, 20kt better -- that may come down with experience though.

If it's windy, come down to Sp Banks weds about 730am -- when I have to leave for work, you can give it a go.

juandesooka

by juandesooka » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:56 am

Late OSR: Sp Banks has decent 12m wind. Would be fun kite foiling, though you’d have to walk way out to get deep enough. I attempted a dawn patrol with the wing-thing, which ended up frustrating – if my last session was 2 steps forward, this one is 1 step back. Lesson learned: wear a board leash; SUPs float fast downwind! Sucks to get back on the learning curve. ;-)
juandesooka

by Faceplant » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:08 am

Cool Shot dude!
Faceplant

by ShonanDB » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:26 am

Arrived at Garry Point Park at around 5:40am and it was just starting to get light. It was 20 gusting to 25 NW so I rigged my 4.7 but by the time I got my wetsuit on it dropped down to 15 to 20 by 6am. Skipped the 5.3 and rigged the 5.8 and took out the 101L FSW. Wind shadow for the first 30m as usual, but was fully powered and almost too much on the far side of the river. It was low flooding tide so the river current was noticeable but didn't have the "death metal" chop today. Surprised to see thigh high rollers coming through with a lighter wind than usual. Decent starboard faces to jump and some nice backside riding ops with linked turns to be had. There were about 5 or 6 good sized fishing boats coming back in and their wake would double up on the rollers for some nice turns and hero gybes. Past times I have sailed here when the wind drops below 20,the river flattens out but today was a nice surprise. Note to self - if 15 - 20 knots and low tide it's probably worth the drive. 1.5hrs TOW after a few months of not sailing
ShonanDB

by juandesooka » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:01 pm

Garry Point Park…that’s a new one, will have to go check that place out.

I have noticed that lighter-moderate NW seem to be a lot stronger from Acadia westward, then dies off progressively from Dog Beach towards Jericho. This has led to repeated skunkings at Spanish Banks, plus some sketchy kite launch attempts at Acadia. But on these days, I always see waves breaking outside the log booms in front of SW Marine Drive (eg by UBC Botanical Gardens).

Looking at the sat map, Wreck Beach (Gate 6) is the most exposed beach in Vancouver. This will require further investigation. I am guessing limited kite launch potential, too far to lug windsurf rig … but maybe a wing and sup foil is doable on all those stairs? ;-)
juandesooka

by grantmac » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Just imagine if someone can perfect an inflatable SUP foil board, so many places would become accessible with just a single large pack.
grantmac

by Roxstock » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 pm

juandesooka wrote:Looking at the sat map, Wreck Beach (Gate 6) is the most exposed beach in Vancouver. This will require further investigation. I am guessing limited kite launch potential, too far to lug windsurf rig … but maybe a wing and sup foil is doable on all those stairs? ;-)

Wreck beach is a tough launch on high tide because of the amount of logs on the beach but it's doable. Much easier on a low tide.
Roxstock

by gabrielb » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:28 pm

WB. today.

1 surfer + 2 foil SUP's

1 kite surfer was launching 6am-7:20am at WB. I helped the same guy to launch a month ago. He kite surfed with a 12 m (guessing). he chose the left side (away from cliff).

WB was kite surfed by one advanced guy about 4 years ago, he found it challenging (comment in wtfbc). the wind lasted 40 minutes, then by 645 it went really light.
waves were ok, but wind shutdown is usually around 7am, no matter conditions.

stairs not an issue, SUP's are heavier
gabrielb

Next

Return to Kiteboarding