Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Outflow this AM at Furry Creek

Kitesurfing shop talk

by 8mdude » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:40 am

ShonanDB wrote:Actuals this morning are lighter than forecast. The 6am update is saying 21 knots which is a little light as Furry Creek is usually about 5 knots less than what the Pam Rock sensor reads. The 5am reading was 20 gusting to 29 so maybe the gusts would be around 30.
I've found that the wind picks up a bit once the sun comes up so I'm heading up to check it out. Won't be an epic day unfortunately but it may be sailable. I'll post an OSR when I arrive.

Cool thanks. I'll drop by to see it firsthand :-). ETA 9am.
8mdude

by 8mdude » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:07 am

Thanks for the OSR.
8mdude

by 8mdude » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks Darrell for info and OSRs. Beautiful playground alright -- and feisty.

I noticed the freighter moves fast and sneaks on you -- so better not fall in the water or get trapped in lulls in the middle of the channel.
8mdude

by imdmitry » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Fun session today. Much better than last time.
When we launch it was 20-25, later when sun come out was probably up to 30kn.
I think today wind was 5kn stronger than Pam Rocks. It was windy till 12 today, also very warm specially when sun come out.
4 windsurfers launched today.
imdmitry

by Brian C » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm

DSC_0866.jpg
Darrell's launch
DSC_0866.jpg (424.07 KiB) Viewed 10677 times
I took a few photos today, while checking out Furry Creek. When I figure out how to set up a flickr account I will provide a link. In the meantime, this is one of my favorites..
Brian C

by ShonanDB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Brian C wrote:
DSC_0866.jpg
I took a few photos today, while checking out Furry Creek. When I figure out how to set up a flickr account I will provide a link. In the meantime, this is one of my favorites..

Thanks for taking some pics Brian. Turned out to be a fun morning but almost didn't go. Got up at 6am and checked the actuals and it was gusting to 27 or something but the temp was 8 degrees so decided to drive up. Arrived around 7:30am and walked down to check the launch as my doors weren't getting blown open as they usually do. At the water it was light but the gusts were promising and you could see the wind line about 200m out. Just as I got back to the van, Dimitri and Ivan arrived and Shan shortly after. Rigged 4.7 and took out the 101FSW and got on the water around 8:30. Got a good gust from shore so stayed dry for the first few runs out but eventually got wet. Pulled the gloves on and used them for the first hour but took them off after that. Well to overpowered from about halfway across so came in upwind in front of the condos to pull some more outhaul. That did the trick and I was well powered for the next hour or so but then it stepped up another 5 to 10 knots when the sun came up over the ridge. Waves were thigh to waist high with a few bigger sets and there were some nice Starboard ramps on the close side and decent Port ramps on the far side. Felt warm, especially when the sun came up but the month of no activity took its toll as my hand strength just wasn't there. Today was a typical Furry Creek day and no issues staying up wind but it was a little lighter than usual in by the launch. Came off the water around 10:45 as the 4.7 was more than a handful. As Dimitri said, Furry Creek seemed about 5-8 knots more than the Pam Rocks' sensor was reporting so I've made a mental note as there were a few days last week that showed 25 knots that would have been good. Beautiful drive back and a nice way to start off the new week! Thanks for joining me today guys. It was good to sail with others.
DB
ShonanDB

by Brian C » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:17 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianwind ... 14702/show

I have attempted to set up a Flickr account with the photos from January 13th at Furry Creek. I haven't figured out how to create a gallery yet, so you probably have to view these on a computer rather than a phone. I'll have to get some tech advice from a regular user of Flickr
Last edited by Brian C on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian C

by C36 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Brian C wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianwindsurfs/albums/72157702529714702

I have attempted to set up a Flickr account with the photos from January 13th at Furry Creek. I haven't figured out how to create a gallery yet, so you probably have to view these on a computer rather than a phone. I'll have to get some tech advice from a regular user of Flickr

Nice shots/lighting Brian! It look like you set up a gallery for Furry Creek on Jan 13th, you might have meant a slideshow. If its a slideshow you are trying to set up just add "/show" to the end of the link like this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianwind ... 14702/show

Hope that helps.
C36

by Brian C » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Thanks Dave, I’ve now done that, and it works as a slideshow as intended.
Does the result look right to you, with regard to security (or anything else that is different than how you set it up)? It seemed like I was giving all viewers full access to delete or change the contents, but I don’t know. Under the “Privacy & Permissions” setting, I chose “only you” can access original files, so it sounds protected.
Also, do you upload your photos as full-size files or do you scale them down for speed and space saving? This batch is full-size and it took several minutes to upload them.
Tips are much appreciated, thanks.
Brian C

by Michael » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Nice pictures Brian, sailing in the sun looks fun. :D
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Kiteboarding