Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Goose Spit Ocean Side

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Slappy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Is there an ocean side launch for Goose Spit? I always see them all riding inside on the cam even when the ocean side looks great.

I know a certain someone caught a lot of shit for launching inside and flying his kite under the power lines which doesn't sound like a something you'd want to do. I can't imagine sailing around the CFB to get there either.

So where is the ocean side launch? Or is it just that there is a better wave spot close by so nobody would bother?

GooseSpit2.jpg
GooseSpit2.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Slappy

by AdrienGrelon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:18 pm

I can't speak to a better launch, but the one and only time I sailed there a kiter rode down wind from the flat side, up and around to get to the windward side. He landed upwind of the power lines after sessioning the wave side...

In my one time there, the waves were pretty punchy and decent (as far as what we get locally goes) on the windward side. This video might give some indication of what it's like:

Place definitely has way more SEs come through in a good way the Skunktennial.
AdrienGrelon

by bandito » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:14 pm

[mpora][/mpora]if i recall well, i normally launched onflat side and rided all around to the open ocean side as well as having kite low under lines.or on ocean beach side at low tide no problem ...on SE /E the wave crash hard at high tides wt debris that made it hard to launch from the road n walk in. i had very few memorable ocean side swell there, boundary bay been better . the flat side is great and on 30+knots still butter smooth edge on spit side,which is not that big n can get crowded close to shore as wind on SE is sideoff/off . campbell river as a swell to ride on N influenced winds (25mn away)
bandito

Return to Kiteboarding