Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Westerly Saturday

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Alton » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:32 am

Mike wrote:Day 2 of foil (kite) at Jericho shared mainly with Igor (WS slalom) & Lubo (WS slalom & foil). Day 1 last week started of with a very humbling first run that consisted of "wheelies." Progressed to getting some short foil runs but not looking very stylish. Day 2 (yesterday) continued with slow gradual progress including towards end (when wind was strong and steady) with one run not requiring a walk up the beach. Ground is mainly lost when in the water sorting things out. There's no denying the challenge (these are work sessions) but liking that part. For the photo, I've been on the 65cm mast (rental). Will go to the 90cm soon. I can see the longer mast would allow more room for error when "porpoising" but we'll see. Good fun!

Congrats !!! You've got all the toys ... windsurfer (freestyle, wave slalom) + kitesurf (twin tip, surfboard, foil) ... what's next?
Alton

by Mike » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:58 am

Alton wrote:Congrats !!! You've got all the toys ... windsurfer (freestyle, wave slalom) + kitesurf (twin tip, surfboard, foil) ... what's next?

The acquisition phase does seem out of control - 3 WS boards, now 3 kite boards - each totally different. Can't say my session count has increased so the effect is "diluting" the use of each thing. However, the "quality to quantity ratio" has improved since the variety gives more choice for the conditions of the day (and the days preference).

Stepping back, the kite foil does seem like a bizarre evolution - imagine if you jumped back in time with one at Jericho in the 80s when windsurf seemed "cutting edge." Hard to imagine what is next.
Mike

by Michael » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:00 am

Faceplant wrote:West Beach delivered solid conditions early. Wind tapered off around 10 then ramped up slightly. I milked it. 7m solo session to start the day, others joined, wind dropped.
Re fueled went out with big kite for last hour. The best waves were at high tide.
Great crew and beauty weather. Careful of the thorn branches poking up out of the grass.

Nice one Lucas! The waves look great, it's been a while since I've been down there, I think a trip is long over due.
Last edited by Michael on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

by Michael » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:02 am

Mike wrote:Day 2 of foil (kite) at Jericho
Nice looking foil Mike, I thinking about getting one as well. Have you tried a windsurf foil yet?
Michael

by Mike » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:11 pm

[quote="Michael"Nice looking foil Mike, I thinking about getting one as well. Have you tried a windsurf foil yet?[/quote]

No try on windsurf foil. Went kite route as it's more compact and could easily take it on flights with little cost.
Mike

Previous

Return to Kiteboarding