Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cape Hatteras trip - 100 shark feeding frenzy. WTF???

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Smitty » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Planning a trip to Hatteras in 2 weeks and saw this Shark feeding frenzy video (gulp):

Video clip here: https://youtu.be/liijgHmbBzg

We are staying here near Rodanthe:

Anyone know if sharks are an issue kiting on the sound side?
Any suggestions on where to kite?

Thanks
Smitty

by Slappy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:58 pm

I hear Cape Point is both very sharky and has nasty currents.
Slappy

by gabrielb » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:28 pm

no wonder, they are well taken care of, massaged and fed (like a change of tires in a pit stop), they are given a friendly name and let go. :shock:
gabrielb

by bandito » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:03 pm

i understand that they think human taste like sh@t so if they bite you, they should let you go :mrgreen: maYBE spray paint your wetsuit yellow so they dont think you are a seal!
bandito

by C36 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:05 am

Smitty wrote:...Anyone know if sharks are an issue kiting on the sound side?
Any suggestions on where to kite? Thanks

Based on what I saw on about a half dozen trips there in late 80's/early 90's, short version is:
  • ocean side = sharky
  • sound side = not so much
Long version: On one trip I saw a fisherman cleaning a 6' Tiger Shark near the lighthouse just after I came out of the ocean swimming with a surfboard (tried to surf) and when I asked him if he caught it offshore I found out much to my horror that he pulled the shark right out of the surf where I was. :shock: The fisherman went onto to say if you were looking for a good place to get bit by a shark, the Outer Banks was the place.

DB can also share a similar tale.

gabrielb wrote:

no wonder, they are well taken care of, massaged and fed (like a change of tires in a pit stop), they are given a friendly name and let go. :shock:

There isn't enough money in this world for me to be guy putting the water hose into "Mary-Lee's" mouth. :?
Last edited by C36 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Young » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:57 am

I used to go to OBX regularly in the 80's. Only saw one shark; was 10'
and I sailed right over it in the middle of an outside jibe (way out Oceanside like a mile off the Avon pier). Didn't hit it but made my jibe, thank god and it came to the surface behind me. I was shaking so much from the adrenaline I had to go to shore. Saw lots of dolphins, one huge sunfish (a 5' disk) and watch out for jellies in the sound; sometimes there can be a lot of jellyfish. My legs were covered in several small purple jellies (shorty wetsuit) and it stung but not unbearable once I scraped them off and sprinkled meat tenderizer on my legs. Other than the shark (a bluetip or blacktip according to the fishermen on the pier) I never felt in danger much. Watch out for the shorewhomp though when launching Oceanside.
Young

by dan.e » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Those look like awfully small sharks, reef maybe? Used to live and kitesurf a part of the world that was known to have great whites and a few attacks.. mainly on swimmers/divers.

If you're genuinely scared don't go. More space for the locals.

Better odds of getting hit by a boat I think.
dan.e

Return to Kiteboarding