Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Whidbey Island looking good Saturday

Kitesurfing shop talk

by C36 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:34 am

Tsawwassen said it felt like we were driving to a Red Bull Storm Chase as we passed through Sooke - dancing trees, flying branches, driving rain, a blanket of branches and pine cones on the road. The wind at Gordons had as much wind texture as I have ever seen on the water - the lightening made it look very dramatic.

Arrived at the beach to hear some of the regulars say this is a windy as they had seen it. For a fickle spot it sure had decided to turn on today. Early wind was strong and swell was light.

Marty was on it early and often.

Dunkinguy was spinning forward and back. Redbaron was sailing-what-he-brought (105/4.2). Moo was waiting for wind he could deploy his 7m in - then did a little tree trimming on launch.

Swell built but the wind was a bit of rollercoaster (up, down and repeat with each rain cell passing through). Had three windsurfing snacks, but no meals (too busy rerigging trying to react to the ever changing wind). Was frustrated once again, glad to be on the beach when the last afternoon tank had those on the water swimming in. One last try before departure. An experience, but `frustration` seemed to be the watch word today.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by ShonanDB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 am

Glad you guys got to sample some of that even if it wasn't perfect. Nice waves! How long was the drive from the Ferry Terminal to where you launched?
ShonanDB

by Michael » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:55 pm

C36 wrote:Tsawwassen said it felt like we were driving to a Red Bull Storm Chase
:D Some fun post session reflections over ferry food but that was what came to mind driving down that road. Unfortunately the waves didn't get their dose of Red Bull and I wasn't sailing like Thomas Traversa. I could have used some energy after my 2 hours of sleep before catching the 7AM ferry. Somehow I always leave it to that 10PM forecast update, then in a mad scramble pack everything up, charge the camera, check the sim cards and load the SUP. That combined with the excitement of sailing a new place, one of legends, had me up all night like a kid on Christmas Eve. The lack of sleep added to the surreal effect of the drive through howling winds and dodging the debris on the road. It also added to my caution when we arrived at the beach to 40 knots of wind. It was a crazy day but I managed to get out as things dropped off just enough for me to manage the 3.7. I had a few swims as I ended up in the sewer more than once and had a really hard time finding waves. Took a break after the 3rd swim and re-rigged the 4.3. Ended up waiting on the beach as the wind was up and down, eventually got the big board and the 102/4.3 combo was fun until the wind died again. Took another break for lunch hiding in the van to get out of the pelting rain. Returned to the beach to see everyone struggling to get in and learned Chris was on the horizon somewhere. There were a few times I thought that was going to be me when the squalls passed and the wind died. All in all a fun day, great to see everyone and finally get to sail there.
Michael

by C36 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm

ShonanDB wrote:Glad you guys got to sample some of that even if it wasn't perfect. Nice waves! How long was the drive from the Ferry Terminal to where you launched?

About 90 minutes (no stops, no traffic).

I am also sharing some info I traded with others in case it is of value to anyone else here.

As Michael noted It was great to finally sail such a legendary spot. To experience a real west wind day there first hand (I had only sailed there once before and it was on a SE), especially with a solid crew. On the down side it didn't feel like I made the most of it, but took comfort in comments from others that it was a tricky day at a tricky spot.

There were a number of reasons for not jumping on it right away:
  • On edge from just driving through what felt like a mini-hurricane.
  • Unfamiliar launch.
  • Crazy windy on arrival - smoke (spray) on the water on the outside (made to look even windier in changing light).
  • Local chatter about how windy it was.
  • Trying to save some energy for when the swell showed up/cleaned up.

In hindsight, I should have started earlier. All part of the process of learning the ways of a new spot.

Once out on the water the current was noticeable, but the locals were saying this was a 'light' day. The river was pumping on the heals of heavy rain and there was strong current both right along the beach past Sewers (forced exit point for most, especially after the wind shut downs) and it was a bit edgy (knee-high uber 'cobbles', steep beach/mini shore break on mid-tide and no wind to help fly the sail). Just off shore there was also eastbound current through the kelp bed (even on 1m ebb).The best wave of the day (for me) was reduced to a backside pinch trying to reduced lost ground to the current while under-gunned on 4.0/92 (first world problem).

Later about four surfers came out to the point when it looked to be classing off late afternoon and the current combined with the rebounding wind seemed to have them all working hard to maintain position.

The last few rides of the day (for me) were big gear slog and ride on fairly clean ground swell and they were pure fun! But I had pretty high expectations for this spot, so being disappointed was a likely outcome. I would go back again, as others do - just with more realistic expectations this time. Again, thankful for the experience shared with others.
C36

Previous

Return to Kiteboarding