Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

recommendations for trainer kite

Kitesurfing shop talk

by arg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi all Kiters. I am a total newbie, and am considering becoming proficient at controlling a kite. Everything I've read says spend lots of time on a trainer kite, before moving on to taking a set of lessons. My question is, assuming that I would usually be alone going to the beach with my kite, does a 2-line air-ram kite self-launch easily, or is a mini-kite (such as the Ocean Rodeo React) with 4-lines necessary? In addition, I understand that either type of kite will be great at developing kite control skills, but is the 4-line trainer kite worth the extra money in terms of kite control skills?
arg

by imdmitry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 am

I used 2 line B2. You will need at least 12kn to fly it well powered and easy launch. It wasn't re-launchable, every time after crash I had to launch it again.

It's probably worth buying 4 line only if you are planning to use for land boarding or snow kiting.
imdmitry

by Faceplant » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Depends on how confident you are, and coordinated. I used to operate a drill rig, and other types of equipment where you'd have to focus on many things at one time. I was asking the same questions as you when I got into kiting. I actually found it to be quite easy to fly the kite after a couple of times. I became bored of it after the 5th or 6th time and was wanting more. I was practicing simulated water starts, flying with one hand, parking the kite, etc. etc.
I went with a 3.5 meter 2 line kite. It pulls pretty hard. Probably not the best for my wife, but I like it. There is a safety so you can always let go.
Price was good at around 300 bucks. HQ rush 350 is what I bought I think.
Faceplant

by Will » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Personally, I do not think trainer kites are worth it, unless you are not the most coordinated person. In which case, it is helpful to get used to steering a kite.

2 Line trainers give an incorrect feel, as a real kite is hooked to your harness, so you do not hold onto the power with your arms like the trainer would.

Which means a 4 line trainer that hooks to a harness would be better, but when you end up spending that much money, you may as well just spend the money on lessons and get real powered kite time to get into the sport.

Just my .02
Will

by lucas » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:41 pm

I've got a 4 line ocean rodeo react I will part with for$200, pm me for details
lucas

by spinmaster3000 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:11 pm

I agree that it probably isn't worth your time or money. I bought one and used it twice, then sold it.

I'd spent the money on a lesson. You'll learn a lot more that way.
spinmaster3000

by Slappy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:10 am

I wouldn't skip the trainer. Buy used and resell and it will only cost you $30-$50.

Great thing about ram air trainers is you can crash them on the beach. If you get an inflatable trainer you'll need to get wet to use it.

The big difference is if you get a depower trainer or fixed bridal. A depower kite requires a harness and behaves like a true kite will. Fixed bridal are much cheaper and don't really fly the same.

Another option is to buy a kite you might get some use out of later like a real 4m kite. Costs a lot more and again you need to get wet.

Last option is to get a Peak. Costs a bunch more but a fantastic learning kite that you can use on snow if you ever go that route. You can use it in shallow water too but not deep water.
Slappy

by juandesooka » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:34 pm

a 2 line trainer is good for an hour or two to learn about the wind window and how a kite flies. Beyond that, doesn't offer much learning.

a 4 line trainer is a scaled down version of a real kite. The key is that the front lines are attached to harness, and back lines to the bar, which gives the depower of regular kites. This allows you to learn about the behaviour of kites in a safe way, prior to your lessons. You can do a lot of training exercises including learning all the safety procedures, like self rescuing. I flew a trainer for 20-30 hours over the winter before doing my lessons....made the first day of lessons easy, probably saved a half day, and also felt safe and confident in understanding what to expect with the big kite.

Buy that OR React from lucas. Sell it for what you paid once you're done.
juandesooka

Return to Kiteboarding