Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Jericho - Monday July 3rd

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Cristo007 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:16 am

It looks ikitesurf on iphone app is telling it will be a good solid 17knot wind start from 8 - 11am today? But the website is showing different number. Anyone seeing good wind in Jericho later today or this is a glitch in ikitesurf app? Cheers....
Cristo007

by Roxstock » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:03 am

It's looking better now, just picked up. Ferry terminal looks like it has wind too
Roxstock

by ShonanDB » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:39 am

Arrived at Garry Point Park just before 6am to about 18 knots. Lot's of white caps and small rollers but also some flatter sections across the river. Rigged my 5.8 and took out the 101L and was fully powered from the beach to overpowered on the other side. There were some nice waist high rollers in the center and you could jump both ways. The wind freshened and was thinking about rigging down to my 5.3 but remembered that the tide was dropping and the river current was increasing so kept the 5.8. The waves got bigger with the odd shoulder high rollers coming through and a few steep faces to get air. Had to wait for a couple big ships to pass and came off the water just after 8am as I started to notice a few lulls coming through. Nice temp and wore my 4/3 wetsuit but found it warm at times. Checked the point but didn't see any breaking waves so headed home.
DB
ShonanDB

by Cristo007 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Hey Shonan - thanks for the info. I did not know we can kiteboarding/windsurfing in that area. Is this Gary Point at Richmond? Where do you usually launch?
Cristo007

by ShonanDB » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Cristo007 wrote:Hey Shonan - thanks for the info. I did not know we can kiteboarding/windsurfing in that area. Is this Gary Point at Richmond? Where do you usually launch?

Yes, Garry Point Park in Steveston (South Richmond). The best launch is about 100 metres West of the parking lot, in a small crescent shaped bay and the river is sailable on all tides but has a strong current (4+ knots) at low tide. There is also everything from small boats to large container ships and dredges coming and going so you need to be constantly looking up as well as down wind. It's really only sailable on a W or NW wind where the wind is blowing upriver so you are always sailing downwind.
DB
ShonanDB

by Chuck » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Made the trip across the Island relatively unscathed, dodging all the Euros in their rental rvs.
Arrived to the less-than-forecast 20-25 of 12-18 which allowed for a leisurely set up of the campsite. Abandoned parental duties once the freshening breeze was noted and arrived to N Chesty to what looked to be 20knots and 10m wind. Turned out it was 12m onshore wind blown chop :roll:
Still nice to get wet in the sunshine, had about an hour on the big kite before the wind crapped out. Fireside lagers at the campsite cap off stellar start to the trip :D
Chuck

Return to Kiteboarding