Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Budget for beginning kiting

Kitesurfing shop talk

by shmish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:32 am

Hi,
I still enjoy ripping on my windsurfer but I'm interested in learning to kite. I like the idea that kiting may open up more options for getting on the water when I travel or go on vacation, and I also get the impression that kiting will get me on the water when the wind is lighter. The big issue for me is $$. How much would I need to get started? Right now I'm guessing $2500 or more for lessons, board, 2 kites, control bar?

I'm looking forward to Squamish again this summer. I got out I think 7 times in 2015, but was away most of the summer in 2016.

cheers
Doug
shmish

by Alton » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 am

Hey Doug

$2,500 for lessons and 2 kites, bar and board sounds about right for kiting on a budget.

I recommend Aerial kite school for affordable lessons. Reschedule your lessons if the forecast is not ideal (too light, too windy or too gusty), otherwise you'll waste your $$$ and not learn anything. My daughter (AltonJR) learned after 3 lessons but 1 of them was gusty and a waste of time and $$$.

Next to word of mouth, KiteboardBC Buy and Sell is probably the best place to look for kite gear. You can start with low wind gear (12m and 9m) + twin tip and windsurf in higher wind. However, you'll soon discover the benefits of kiting in higher wind then get a 7m kite. Because you are a windsurfer you'll likely transition over to a surfboard and discover how much it feels like riding a tiny freestyle wave windsurfer without a sail in your face.

Windsurfing + kiting is a great combination for days on the water. My session counts jumped from 100/year windsurfing to 160/year kiting with less travel. You'll save $$$ kiting because you'll get better quality sessions and reduce the days you get skunked. If you give up windsurfing you can drive a smaller car and save even more $$$.
Alton

by Slappy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:51 pm

First thing is to get a trainer $100-200 (but you can sell it after for almost as much) and then learn to fly it with one hand, learn to pull your self up off the beach with it, learn to walk/run while flying it, learn to fly boxes, loops and downloops, etc.

Second thing would be to consider a Nitinat trip to do your lessons. Learning in Squamish can be a bit harsh.

I would separate the cost of gear and the cost of lessons. Some people only need a single 3 hour lesson while others take 9-12 hours. It's a huge difference in cost.

For used gear you should be able to do:
Board: $200
Bar: $200
9m Kite: $500
12m Kite: $600
Pump: $40
Total: $1540
Slappy

by shmish » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Living in east van I'm curious as to how often i would get the chance to use a trainer kite. How much wind is needed for it to be useful? I think the closest place to fly a big kite would be New Brighton park by the second narrows bridge. I take it that using it on a grass field is fine?
shmish

by Alton » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:43 pm

shmish wrote:Living in east van I'm curious as to how often i would get the chance to use a trainer kite. How much wind is needed for it to be useful? I think the closest place to fly a big kite would be New Brighton park by the second narrows bridge. I take it that using it on a grass field is fine?

Maybe fly the trainer before or after your windsurfing sessions. You can also hang out with kiters to get some tips and advice.
Alton

by Faceplant » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:13 pm

shmish wrote:Living in east van I'm curious as to how often i would get the chance to use a trainer kite. How much wind is needed for it to be useful? I think the closest place to fly a big kite would be New Brighton park by the second narrows bridge. I take it that using it on a grass field is fine?

I bought a 3.5 meter kite. Too big IMO. I'm almost 200 lbs. Really fun first few times. Like Slappy said. Learn to fly one handed, pull yourself up and whatever else you can dream of. Lots of videos talking about wind window. Learn to park the kite at the edge of the window to simulate landing.
Like I said, smaller maybe better like 2-3 meter.
I took a week lessons with KGB in mexico. It was awesome value. around 1100 for the week. All the gear, accommodations, and some food. After that trip I was able to go out on my own. Having multiple kites is good. Being underpowered as a beginner can slow down your progression.
Faceplant

by bandito » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 pm

I think princess auto sell pump for 20$
don't wait for light wind to learn kiting, mid to high wind is easier to learn with board. take lessons (private 3x 2-3 hours best, only go if decent wind!!!) and go kiting a lot right away for a month so you remember.Squamish is good as they will go pick u up downwind for 165$ a summer, cant beat that. get your bread n potato kite n all kite gear gear. get bigger kite if extra money for lighter days, and those will happen.a smaller kite for bigger days would b nice.buy your main twin tips, not a beginner one .I rode a flattish 134 cm x40.5 at 165lb for over 10 years, luv that size. don't get one wt too much rocker, they suck when wind drop.
Slappy wrote:First thing is to get a trainer $100-200 (but you can sell it after for almost as much) and then learn to fly it with one hand, learn to pull your self up off the beach with it, learn to walk/run while flying it, learn to fly boxes, loops and downloops, etc.

Second thing would be to consider a Nitinat trip to do your lessons. Learning in Squamish can be a bit harsh.

I would separate the cost of gear and the cost of lessons. Some people only need a single 3 hour lesson while others take 9-12 hours. It's a huge difference in cost.

For used gear you should be able to do:
Board: $200
Bar: $200
9m Kite: $500
12m Kite: $600
Pump: $40
Total: $1540
bandito

by shmish » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Alton wrote:

Maybe fly the trainer before or after your windsurfing sessions. You can also hang out with kiters to get some tips and advice.

That's not a bad idea, thanks
shmish

by shmish » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks Slappy, Faceplant and Bandito for gear suggestions.
shmish

by joeblo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:16 pm

I hardly kite at all but have a 11.5m in case I am on a trip and the wind is light. I have a trainer kite that is the air ram type so it can be pounded into the ground and not damaged. Before I went out with a bigger kite, I flew the air ram trainer A LOT. It makes it way easier to learn because you know what the kite is going to behave like in different positions. The trainer is WAY more responsive than a real kite, so it is fun just to fly it. I never really got it to learn kiting, it was just a fun thing to do before the wind came up enough to sail on my 5.8. My kids learned to fly it as well and on their first lesson they spent about 5 minutes with the trainer before they were out on the water body dragging the instructor around. Getting a trainer is fun and great transferable skills to real kiting. Of course there is no depower on a trainer and you don't have to pump it up, so it is not exactly like a "real" kite. Fun though!
joeblo

Return to Kiteboarding