Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Saturday Westerly Wind

Kitesurfing shop talk

by 8mdude » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:41 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:
8mdude wrote:I feel euphoric after a NW sunny session there. I wonder if the weeds in the area may have something to do with it.

You mean "weed."

Sea weeds.
8mdude

by Slappy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:13 pm

On the water from 2:00-4:45 at SB with 9m and skim. First hour I was lit once I got up to upper Acadia then things backed off and I was pretty much the only one left on the water.

Waves were best at about the half way mark between the two dolphins, there were some nicely formed small waves for sure. Best waves were knee high but there were bigger sloppier ones further out. There were decent rollers coming in just off the sandbar too.

A great day in the sunshine.

I was going to go to Iona but when I saw JSCA spike up to 20 I figured I'd save myself walking an extra km.
Slappy

by C36 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Bump 'n' Jumpish. Lack-luster morning actuals (and family dinner commitment) kept me closer to home so it was Acadia over Whidbey Island (rumour has it WI delivered yesterday). Arrived in time to see the clearing wind ramp up. Big John, Massimo and I were the first ones out. Everything from 6.3 to 3.7 took to the water and they were all working. I decided to leave the 5.3 in the van after listening to the gusts in the trees while deciding on what too rig and after seeing the gust topping 30 mph on the Jericho sensor. Coupled the 4.5 with the FreeWave 115 just to make sure I could get going. Rig was light in the hands but working - upwind and pushing off the waist high wind swell. Then the wind backed just enough that I was standing more than starting so went in an grabbed 5.3 and upgraded the fin to 23 and that was much better (enough power to drive up wind now) - amazed to see Massimo still making the 3.7 work. Tony, Richi, AG and one fair maiden were all out for the second half along with one Liquid Force kite working a skim board (which may have been Slappy) and another flying a blue North kite (which I later learned was Mike). Wind swell was playful rolling waist-high at first melting way to knee-high on the ebbing tide. Jump favoured to port, but some could be had to Starboard as well. No gloves (fresh at first, then cozy warm). Nice to get out, after beginning to wonder if that was ever going to happen again!

Pre-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices
Slideshow
C36

Previous

Return to Kiteboarding