Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Nitinat Kite Sizes

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Slappy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Heading out to Nitinat this weekend (19th) on motorcycle so space is extremely limited. Gradients are forecast to be:
9 degrees
4 degrees
3 degrees

I'm going to either bring 12m/7m or 10m/7m. I'm leaning towards 12m/7m that way I should have my bases covered and my 10m and 12m are about the same packed size. Mostly TT riding, no space for other boards.

My 12m is good for 14-25 knots, while my 10m does 16-28 knots.

Any thoughts?

I see there have been some 15-20 knot days on the BWD logs lately.
Slappy

by Craig » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:36 pm

Hey Slappy. When are you heading over? I am going Friday morning on the early ferry.
I know nothing about kiting (windsurfer) but have been to Nitinat a bunch. With the temps high in both the coast and inland it may only be moderately windy. Called a heat out. Thermal doesnt develop fully for nuking conditions. I think the gorge is the same if there is a heat wave in Portland.
I am taking all everything i have in case but am preparing for 15-20. 25+ will be a bonus.
See you there.
Craig.
Craig

by Slappy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:41 am

Very successful 3 day trip to Nitinat over the weekend. Motorcycles both held up flawlessly and we were able to pack 2 boards and 2 kites each.

We tried to take the logging roads direct from Nanaimo but there is a checkpoint and the guy said we weren't allowed to go that way and even if we were there were many locked gates that way.

Weather was amazing Friday and Saturday, I was actually a bit too hot while sitting in the wind eating lunch. Sunday was a mixed bag but still some good wind to be had even though it was chilly.

Kites wise I would have been equally served with 12/7 as I was with 10/7 but able to ride my TT more. I rode 7m + SB Friday and was underpowered and then 10m + SB Sat/Sun with a bit of TT when the wind picked up at times.

Demo'd an OR Duke too, pretty decent board. Very good for strapless air, very stable, has the crazy Mako concave that eats chop. Non-dingable construction. Only bad thing was those wierd 3 fins make it feel really sluggish, might be really good for strapless airs in powered conditions though.
Attachments
nitinat-IMG_3629.JPG
nitinat-IMG_3629.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 5787 times
Slappy

Return to Kiteboarding