Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Broken Kite Line

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Alton » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Many kiters may have experienced broken kite lines typical within 1" of where it's sewn to the sleeve.

Instead of spending $$$ to replace the lines, here's my economical solution:

1. cut off the other kite line's sleeve (shown below in black) at the same point
2. cover the cut ends with 3" of sheathing (to prevent the kite line from cutting into itself)
3. tie the ends (covered with sheathing) with figure-eight knots (shown below in green)
4. extend the lost length with pig tails (shown below in grey)
5. adjust and confirm your line lengths are equal under tension

repaired_kite_line.jpg
repaired_kite_line.jpg (558.01 KiB) Viewed 15361 times
Alton

by gab_mg » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:40 pm

That's pretty smart if it works. Have you sailed with it yet? What did you use for the sheathing and where did you buy it?
gab_mg

by Alton » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:46 am

gab_mg wrote:That's pretty smart if it works. Have you sailed with it yet? What did you use for the sheathing and where did you buy it?

It works on my Airush bar lines (sheathing and figure 8 knot without the pig tails) for over a year. The only difference this time is that I used pig tails as extensions to my North bar lines. I'll test my North bar lines next session but I'm very confident.

I was given parachute line. I just had to remove the core from the line to get the sheathing. Use any good rope from your marine store or MEC then remove the core.

You can use a paper clip to remove the core from the sheating. Then use the paper clip to guide your kite line back through the sheathing. You are basically replacing the core with your kite line.

Alton

by Slappy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:46 am

Even sheathed you are still reducing the line strength by about 40% so you might not want to use those lines in fall/winter conditions.
Slappy

by Alton » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:52 am

Slappy wrote:Even sheathed you are still reducing the line strength by about 40% so you might not want to use those lines in fall/winter conditions.

Oddly the Airush sheathed lines with figure 8 knots is lasting longer (over 1 year) than the North lines with the sewn sleeves. I'm very suspicious of normal lines which usually snap within 1" of where it's sewn to the sleeve.
Alton

by Randal » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 am

Windsurfing harness lines often fail where the rope is sewn through - I wonder if a sewn-through connection is any more efficient than a decent knot, particularly in fatigue as the lead thread seems to create a hot spot, like the lead rivet in an aircraft joint.
Randal

by Alton » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:11 pm

gab_mg wrote:That's pretty smart if it works. Have you sailed with it yet? What did you use for the sheathing and where did you buy it?

No problems today after 2 hours on the water. Didn't get a chance to work on my jumps today which will be the real stress test.
Alton

by Alton » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:13 pm

Line repairs held for 2.5 hours of non-stop jumping
Alton

by GabMG » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Well then, better bookmark for later
GabMG

Return to Kiteboarding