Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Airline prices for surfboards

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Roxstock » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:32 pm

Here's a helpful link to some airline prices and regulations on taking boards on the plane.

http://www.carvemag.com/2016/01/surfers ... bag-rules/
Roxstock

by gabrielb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:37 pm

when american airlines charges you US$150 x 2 = US300 = CAD $430

I rather pick an used one through craiglist, like this one in sf for $220 instead of renting trashy boards (and sell the surfboard to the same guy for $90 after if he agrees)...
sf.JPG
sf.JPG (35.92 KiB) Viewed 27125 times

just bring your fins, leash and wetsuit. If you need straps, dyi, good epoxy hole on sticky pad should last you days for kiting, donate the board to any surfer after you are done if too much damage.

unless you want to impress people/women at the airport, they seem to love surfers...

I remember having an aside sessions in the coldest weather, good looking girl approached me (but knowing me I always push it to the limit close to frosbite on my sessions) the speech impairment at that point did not help, laughing inside as I could not put 2 words together with my half frozen brain ;)
gabrielb

by Uluwatu69 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:33 pm

As per experience, don't bring your board with you unless the destination you are going to doesn't have any rental place. Airline industry is a way too expensive for that, believe me on that. Plus the handling might be a bit rough depending on who is handling your board. its not always a matter of the person handling it willing to do damage to your toy but more doesn't have the knowledge or proper training for this kinda items. By the time you drop your board off at the oversize drop-off belt, it might be handled by easily 5-6 different people times 2 for the return trip and even more if you have to get into a smaller commuter aircraft.. The longer the board, the more hassle, the more expensive its gonna get. luggage compartments in planes come in standard sizing and have special compartment for oversize items, even though items are secured, you will find some hard edges in these compartments that will ding your board, cut through the rails and affect the board integrity. Moving them in and out of these compartment or wagons, belts is when things happen, not to mention that I have seen my double board bag flying a couple of time from the wagon to the ground either thrown on by handlers or fallen on their own in curves because of improper loading or reckless driving.... it gets you pretty upset!!!
The other place they might get damaged is at the end of the belt at some airports if they dont get picked up early enough, even though most of the time get picked up and put on wagon pretty fast. The boards and other items can pile up and excess weight and strain can be put on your precious cargo.
If you decide to grab products for fixing your board, i won't mention any name, make sure they are absolutely secure, leak proof and make sure the 2 component ingredient dont mix since they create and heat and under certain conditions will create a fire and endanger the entire flight. Luckily nowadays, there are a lot of products out there who will only react with sun to cure and are already premixed. Some other will leak some fumes that is very recognizable such as resin and is toxic too especially in an enclosed compartment. even though the cabin is pressurized and used outside air and works as a controlled leak, there will be a bit of the air you breath that is recirculated into the cabin... (that is why people get sick breathing somebody else germs...)
A lot of the product could be classified as Dangerous Goods and some shall not be carried in airplanes... Make sure you have a perfect understanding of that part and ask the airline prior to travel...
...sorry for drifting a bit here...
Bottom line, unless if you absolutely wanna ride your own board, leave it behind or get a beaten one that you'll leave behind, give it to a kid as also mentioned by Gabriel. The other reason is also that if you go to these small village in small places where they have rentals, it's a great way to participate to the local economy to help them a bit because they depend on tourism. You will be able to chat and even get great info about the conditions, tips etc... Also keep in mind that if the surf is not consistent, you can still switch for a different board.

I was once in Sayulita and didn't bring my boards for all the above reasons and as soon as I dropped my bags off, went straight for the rental place to get a board and jumped in the water since i only had 50-60 mins left of daylight. Got to the rental place, realized i forgot my ID, and wallet and felt like an total idiot... The girl looked at me and asked where i stayed, then smiled and said "no problem! which board do you want and for how long? You can pay me when you are done..." Couldn't believe it, grabbed the board, went for a few rides...
Ended up catching few waves with her the next day and her local guys friends, left me few rides...

Anyway, think about it...

Enjoy and participate is my philosophy :D
Uluwatu69

by gabrielb » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Thx Ulu. You as pilot know best. Weather seems to be getting better, join us next surf session. Tofino in the horizon, I ll text you. Please post any action in Ontario lakes.
I spent 10 days in Sayulita , 3 years ago, surf hut woman was very nice, 100 pesos for 2 hours no I'd , I was 2 blocks away, forgot booties , stung by a small ray, fun though.
gabrielb

by Uluwatu69 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:55 pm

Hey Gab,

I forgot to mention also the "don't give a sh*t" factor from some guys at airports. There will always be some... so protect you rails and bottom (since it has mostly the thinner layer of fabric...)
I ll be back home on 14, til 16 evening, the, 22 till 26th. I hope to get some rides in yvr. So far here in Toronto, no luck since I am still finishing company training but i tell you, it has a massive potential for waves... really windy and overtime I shoot an approach at the airport downtown, i can see all the lines and windswell.
I am still waiting to get a car and look around... sometimes around Feb...

Cheers, hope to see you soon on the breaks.
Uluwatu69

Return to Kiteboarding