Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tuesday morning at Centennial

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Alton » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:35 pm

Mike wrote:Hit the water with 4.5/86l at 7:30 twilight. Followed by Michael then Dave. There were a few lulls but was overall solid. Highlight was finding and riding my best waves ever at anywhere local. One at head high/many surfy turns gave me a shot of adrenaline I haven't got from a wave since Maui. One lull mid session made be wonder if I was swimming in. Was willing to do the swim early but not later as I got tired. Came in for a snack/rest at the 2.5 hour mark then the wind dropped and turned SW.

Michael wrote:And warm blue water! Yup it was sweet! At our post session meeting Mike was hesitant to say it but I said it first. Caught one of my biggest waves ever at Centennial, and like Mike said it gave me that little rush of adrenaline/ fear I haven't had in a while.

I soooo jealous. The risk of clocking SW scares the sh*t out of me. Glad nobody had to swim today.
Alton

by Alton » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:41 pm

Hey. That looks like the surfboard I lost. Hey - I want it back!

surfboard.jpeg
surfboard.jpeg (53.48 KiB) Viewed 16171 times
Alton

by C36 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:16 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:I'm going to go ahead and say Mike is thoroughly exaggerating :lol: But only so I can feel good about my day at the office :( Glad it delivered.

Was it good jumping too?

Yes. Yes it was. :D ;)

Three wise men (or just dumb luck)? Delightful wind/wave angle served up steep ramps on the way out and frontside rides on the way in (they were more than tries today, much more).

I just about didn't go this morning, but did and am I ever glad I did. Arrived to see M and Mike out, but in stop-start wind. Even when I was rigging it had the feeling it was going to tank, but kept pressing on. Got to the water and launched into a gust of 'too much' followed by a 'not enough' wallow over the second bank watching all the waves roll by.

Then the magic happened! Wind filled back in to some of the steadiest south wind I have ever experienced there and the wind/wave angle seemed slightly side off. There was enough power to jump on the way out and yet the sail would get light in your hands when riding on the way in.

The launch at 3rd offered very steep ramps on the way out, but they were too closely stacked to allow you to spool up. 4th to Centennial offered a nicer set-up (both jumping and riding) - and it takes a lot for me to admit it. There were several nice steep ramps that made for solid jumping (and some spinning) on the way out and smooth sections on the way in that offered some wave power and opportunities for multiple linked real frontside turns! The swell over the second bank lured M and I down as far the point above Beach Grove (more than once) - maybe we should call this spot Mutterland!?!

Mike was having Maui flashbacks and M was all smiles after his madden voyage on his new ride! :D JB (arriving at the tail end), not so much. :cry:

Pre-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Mike wrote:Hit the water with 4.5/86l at 7:30 twilight. Followed by Michael then Dave. There were a few lulls but was overall solid. Highlight was finding and riding my best waves ever at anywhere local. One at head high/many surfy turns gave me a shot of adrenaline I haven't got from a wave since Maui. One lull mid session made be wonder if I was swimming in. Was willing to do the swim early but not later as I got tired. Came in for a snack/rest at the 2.5 hour mark then the wind dropped and turned SW.

Michael wrote:And warm blue water! Yup it was sweet! At our post session meeting Mike was hesitant to say it but I said it first. Caught one of my biggest waves ever at Centennial, and like Mike said it gave me that little rush of adrenaline/ fear I haven't had in a while.

Alton wrote:I soooo jealous. The risk of clocking SW scares the sh*t out of me. Glad nobody had to swim today.

When I first sailed down to Centennial to join Mike and M I saw a kite WAY down by Beach Grove - so far down I thought for sure they must have launched down at Beach Grove. Later I realized it was Cash who had gone down on a tour. Saw him at the end of the day below Centennial, just and M and I were leaving the water (got lucky and was on the inside when it started getting light and decided to call my session). He was pumping the kite at one point but then saw he had enough wind to loft it shortly later. Hope he made it back up to 3rd OK.
C36

by Alton » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Full morning session at 72nd Street from 9am to 12:30pm with Cash (first on), Jerry, Rob W, Matt P, Joe S, David Culver (from Washington) ... Started with 9m thinking the wind won't last - boy was I wrong. Way overpowered in S 25-30. Almost switched to 7m but wind backed off for perfect 9m conditions SW 20-25. Shallow and flat inside. Sharp small 1 foot ramps outside perfect for starboard jumps. A few clean breaking waves here and there. Warm and cloudy with some sunny breaks.
Alton

by Alton » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:05 pm

C36 wrote:When I first sailed down to Centennial to join Mike and M I saw a kite WAY down by Beach Grove - so far down I thought for sure they must have launched down at Beach Grove. Later I realized it was Cash who had gone down on a tour. Saw him at the end of the day below Centennial, just and M and I were leaving the water (got lucky and was on the inside when it started getting light and decided to call my session). He was pumping the kite at one point but then saw he had enough wind to loft it shortly later. Hope he made it back up to 3rd OK.

I was following Cash and Jerry on a tour from 72nd Street down to 3rd Ave but I was uncomfortably overpowered on my 9m in S 25-30 so I bailed. Cash made that trip a couple of times. He was first on and last off on his 10m. I think Cash is making up for missing a stellar weekend at 3rd Ave.
Alton

by Chris Klohn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:31 pm

Cash is a beast Alton. Always has been.........always will be 8-)
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:36 pm

Michael wrote:
surfing unicorn 2.PNG
LeopardSkin wrote:And unicorns.

And warm blue water! Yup it was sweet! At our post session meeting Mike was hesitant to say it but I said it first. Caught one of my biggest waves ever at Centennial, and like Mike said it gave me that little rush of adrenaline/ fear I haven't had in a while.
They weren't everywhere and it didn't last long. It's a drag how fast the water conditions at Centennial can change, I think I got about an hour of it, Mike probably a half hour more and then it got really choppy. The best part about the day was the wind wave angle, which set up for some great long rides, the down side was when the waves were the biggest the wind dropped off. Lucky for Dave it kicked back in just as he hit the water. Like Mike said at one point I thought we were both going to be swimming! As for jumping at times it was good with the wind wave angle you could hit the ramps straight on but it was more of a wave ridding day. The new board jumped well and lots of fun in the waves.
Chris Klohn

by Michael » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:18 pm

C36 wrote:Mike was having Maui flashbacks and M was all smiles after his madden voyage on his new ride!

:D :D A few pics. Thursday might be good as well.
This one is best viewed at full size... http://wtfbc.ca/download/file.php?id=3439
Attachments
View Of The Landscape.jpeg
#photo 1
View Of The Landscape.jpeg (299.54 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Lots Of Space Nice Size.jpeg
#photo 2
Lots Of Space Nice Size.jpeg (294.59 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Setting The Rail.jpeg
#photo 3
Setting The Rail.jpeg (320.17 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Riding Switch Shoulder High Swell.jpeg
#photo 4
Riding Switch Shoulder High Swell.jpeg (330.28 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
FrontSide Riding.jpeg
#photo 5
FrontSide Riding.jpeg (364.29 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Breaking Up.jpeg
#photo 6
Breaking Up.jpeg (371.71 KiB) Viewed 16043 times
Michael

by C36 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Nice shots M! 8-)

Glad there is at least some lime-yellow highlights on that new board to colour-match your sails! :D ;)
C36

by AdrienGrelon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:47 pm

C36 wrote:Glad there is at least some lime-yellow highlights on that new board to colour-match your sails! :D ;)

Yeah, it's almost giving my Severne/Starboard combo a run for its money ;) Almost .. :D
AdrienGrelon

Previous

Return to Kiteboarding