Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Kite Launch Lighthouse Park?

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Slappy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:41 pm

What's the best plan for launching a kite at Lighthouse Park? I might end up having to go pick up some parcels anyways so I might hit it instead of BBay.

There is a bunch of grass but there are also nasty thorns that will shred kites at random spots. My dog got caught up in them once and I had to rescue him.

Then there's the campground, it might have some nice area's, but it's a bit out of the wind and I'm not sure you're allowed in there in the off season.

Anyone with experience there I'd love to hear it.
Slappy

by Faceplant » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:53 pm

Ive never been. I was hoping to park and walk down the bluff and launch kite from south east portion of point roberts.
Looked at map and it looks like Lilly point marine park is easy to get to. I think from there it would be easy hike down to beach. I'm game to head down there. Some nice waves !
Faceplant

by ShonanDB » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:11 am

The Southeast corner of Point Roberts is Lily Point and it is about a 15 minute walk down and a 20 minute walk up. I've windsurfed there a couple times this year and am thinking about spending the day there tomorrow if the forecast looks good in the morning. Nice breaking waves all around the point and to the West with a bit of a smooth wrap in around the Northeast side but there are some old wooden pillars just below the water at high tide to watch out for. If we get 25 -30 knots for 3-4 hours or longer tomorrow morning, there should be some nice rollers coming through fairly close to the beach and wrapping in.
ShonanDB

by C36 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:22 am

Last time down at Lighthouse Park I saw a kite rig in the campground and launch off the south shore.

As for Lily Point it is remote and not for the faint of heart. I have walked down twice (once with SUP and once with DB with WS gear) and sailed up there twice - it is an adventure with windsurfing gear. The walk is about a km (five times as long as the access path to Locust) and the vertical drop is about the same as the path to Wreck Beach. On a 3 m tide there appeared to be a few rather large boulders 'boiling' the water in the middle and south half of the cove. On a 4 m tide (noon) there will be very little shore at the base of the cliff inside the cove and there is a rather formidable shoreline (high cliff) all the way from Lily Point to Maple Beach.

Click here to view Lily Point gallery.

If you drift downwind at Point Roberts there are a few places to extract yourself (although shore break in 4 m tide at noon could complicate things), at Lily Point, not so much.

The water was rather cold on Thursday. Please make wise decisions and sail safe today.
Last edited by C36 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by Faceplant » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:26 am

Sorry Slappy. Didn't mean to hijack.
I thought we were talking about same area. I realize now you actually were referring to different area.
Good luck with your quest.
Faceplant

Return to Kiteboarding