Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Kite surfboard

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Jack1587 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:15 pm

I am going to be getting a kite surfboard for riding some waves and those sessions where a twin tip isn't really much fun because it's either really gusty, light wind or choppy. I want to get the new North Whip CSC. http://www.northkiteboarding.com/products/boards/surf/whip_csc/
It comes in 3 sizes. 5'2", 5'4" and 5'6". What size do you think would work best for me? (I'm 130lbs and around 5'5"). I am going to be riding it strapless if that makes a difference in choosing size. I don't know if this is a long shot but I want to maybe use it for real surfing as well. Maybe learn to surf it at wreck beach or something? If that is possible :lol:
Thanks.
Attachments
surfboard.png
surfboard.png (221.48 KiB) Viewed 22790 times
Jack1587

by Alton » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:32 pm

The sizing chart shows 5'2" is the one for you.

Good choice! This is the same board the Dave Bush rides pulling off some of the sickest tricks with straps. Once in a while Dave will ride it strapless.
Alton

by Slappy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:03 pm

At your size the small one is definitely the way to go. Looks like a great board but they are like $1200.

Paddling it prone would be doable for someone your size once they were good and if they were in proper surf. Trouble is our surf is small and mushy and you'll have a really rough time on that board.

If you want a kiteboard that you can surf locally the best option is the Slingshot SP in wake construction. Wide and short boards (known as grovlers) are ideal in mushy conditions.

Trouble is unless you have light wind and ground swell (real waves) the SP isn't much fun behind the kite. It is an easy board to learn strapless on though and will go in the lightest of winds.

The Alien Twister might as good as the SP too, I've never tried it.

Both can be had for $300-350 USD.
Slappy

by Jack1587 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Slappy wrote:At your size the small one is definitely the way to go. Looks like a great board but they are like $1200.

Paddling it prone would be doable for someone your size once they were good and if they were in proper surf. Trouble is our surf is small and mushy and you'll have a really rough time on that board.

If you want a kiteboard that you can surf locally the best option is the Slingshot SP in wake construction. Wide and short boards (known as grovlers) are ideal in mushy conditions.

Trouble is unless you have light wind and ground swell (real waves) the SP isn't much fun behind the kite. It is an easy board to learn strapless on though and will go in the lightest of winds.

The Alien Twister might as good as the SP too, I've never tried it.

Both can be had for $300-350 USD.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will be going with the 5'2" and only if we get some great surf I'll try out. I can sup surf but never tried short board. I don't think Ambleside is a safe place to learn to surf a shortboard haha.
Jack1587

by Tony360 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:42 pm

This board in 5 2 is perfect for you for kiting, in up to head high waves. It is not good for surfing. The kite specific boards are heavier and less buoyant than real surfboards. No float equals no waves. It would be very frustrating to try to surf on this.

To learn to surf I would recommend renting a soft top a Tofino for a few days. Figure out how to catch waves, Stand up bottom turn...then buy a shortboard.
Tony360

by gabrielb » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:19 pm

If you want to speed up your learning, join us at wreck beach, learning to surf means you need to learn to read waves, Tofino is the best place but expensive per wave ride, 52 means you are 100 lbs 54 height, which I think you may not be.
Windsurfing 10 11 am 15 knots, 20 min planing today, need more info use the sup surf forum.
gabrielb

by Jack1587 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:41 pm

gabrielb wrote:If you want to speed up your learning, join us at wreck beach, learning to surf means you need to learn to read waves, Tofino is the best place but expensive per wave ride, 52 means you are 100 lbs 54 height, which I think you may not be.
Windsurfing 10 11 am 15 knots, 20 min planing today, need more info use the sup surf forum.

Thanks. So do you think I should get 5'4"? Would that work for actual surfing in Vancouver. Next good surf weekend I'll try to join you guys at wreck beach.
Jack1587

by gabrielb » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:04 pm

I have 6', 6'3", 6'5", 6'8" different volumes. I'll bring the 6'3" with no volume for you to try, it's the volume that's important. If you can at least manage to stand up and ride straight with it, then we can at least know which volume you are comfortable with ... I'll give you the 6 8 and it will feel like a boat, double the volume.

Then you can get any surfboard with that volume, any shape.

What may help you is to depower at a point in the wave and surf the wave instead of plowing through it, kiting
But read what tony has to say he does both and slappy and face plant. ( kite and surf)
gabrielb

by Faceplant » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Bigger is better when learning to surf in my opinion. Look on craigslist for something in the 7 foot range. Or you can look for shorter board with lots of volume. The shorter the board, the less stable you'll feel in the beginning. As mentioned in previous post renting the 9 foot foam boards in tofino is good. They are bullet proof and wave catchers. I know they kinda look kooky but I've rented them for the wife, and I'll take them out from time to time and catch loads of waves.

As far as local surf. The waves are usually head high at the most. I've seen overhead surf, but these days are rare. So, shoulder and head high mushy waves you either have to have excellent timing to catch the wave and get a ride, or have a longer board to make it easier. Lots of times you are riding the waves into shallow water with cobbles, and sometimes logs. SO a brand new board will get thrashed. Find an old beater you can have fun and not worry about.
Faceplant

by kieran » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:18 am

Don't mess around with a Tomo knockoff, buy the real thing.

http://www.bigwinds.com/firewire-15-kiteboard-vader
kieran

Next

Return to Kiteboarding