Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Blade Kite and North 2015 Quad bar

Kitesurfing shop talk

by robbieb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Has anyone tried a Blade Trigger with a new North Quad bar (the new ones have a single line flag on the 4 line)?
Currently my set-up is the Trigger with a 2013 Liquid Force CPR. I hate the release and trim and I'm looking to change. I heard too many stories about the Blade Uni bar so I'm looking at replacing with either the new Liquid Force Response or a new North. I know the LF will work but would rather have a North bar.

Please let me know if anyone has seen this setup.
Thanks!
Robbie
robbieb

by Alton » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:15 pm

I love the Blade Trigger (12m and 9m) combination with Ozone (standard - contact water control system). The original owner of the Triggers is not fond of the Blade bars. Still haven't tried the Triggers with my 2011 North Bar (4 line). Had to use pig tails for the Ozone and North bars.

Slappy probably has the most experience with Blade Triggers and bars.
Alton

by tweegster » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:09 pm

North Bars are hard to find cheap even used. For what it's worth I like my 2014 Best bar equal to my 2014 North Bar (i like both a lot). I have seen new best bars go on sale for 200 USD a few times. North.... not so much.
North pros
Adjustable bar width, Heart release works fantastic,
Best pros
Low Y (easier to self land), bungee trim strap (genius)
Both pros
Comfy & warm grip, easy trimming, low friction insert for smooth bar action, single flagging (not on my north 2014), below the bar swivel (great), stopper balls that stay put.

I also hate my back up 2012 LF bar, i mean the BTB trim is just for looks right. I have never been able to work it when I needed it.
tweegster

by Slappy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:25 pm

I've logged about 70 sessions on my 2013 Blade Unibar over 2 years. Overall it's a pretty good bar but has a few things that I don't like.

Pros:
- Best lineset of any bar I've ever seen, 3 colours, top quality, beefier centers, best type of pigtails
- Great colours, yellow on the left, I just wish the left floater was yellow too
- North style ATB trim cleat that has proven to be the way to go unless you need super long bar throw
- Low Y for easy self landings
- Velcro on trim line to keep it out of the way
- Easily detatch steering lines from the bar to quickly fix lines that got messed up while using a line manager

Cons:
- The flagging line can get stuck in the swivel, recommended you bore it out further with a drill but even then I don't fully trust it to flag. I have learned to use my feet to kick it through though when it sticks.
- ATB swivel doesn't really work and having to flag through it reduces safety
- No below the bar swivel
- Non-rigid bar leaders can lead to bar wraps which lead to death loops
- Adjustable (but not on the fly) length, which never really worked for me. I would often forget to adjust it until I was on the water and I dislike how it flies on the inside setting as the float tend to wrap the center lines. Kept on the outside settings it was perfect for my 10m but too much for my 7m.
- EVA grip rips my hands up, but I have wussy hands and often do 5 hour sessions
- EVA grip split on one side, still usable but just feels akward
- Flagging line gets in the way of the clam cleat (there is no channel for it)
- No stopper (2014 added one)
- Does not include proper double ring for unhooked riding, instead they want you to clip your leash around the CL and the single ring. This is very dangerous and I ended up having it clip on to my spreader as well after hooking back in. This meant I was essentially hard tethered to my kite with 0 safety release and scared the shit out of me. It also meant using the low quality Blade leash or a LF leash as my preferred leash (North) has a small clip to avoid skewering your hand with.

I have since switched to a CrazyFly Sick Bar and am very happy with it. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the lines are all the same colour and there is no way to detach the steering lines from the bar ends.
Slappy

by robbieb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Thank you for the replies! Sorry, took me this long. I managed to pick up a used 2015 North Quad for a great price. Now all I need is time to try it out with my Trigger and Envy.

Cheers!
Roberto
robbieb

Return to Kiteboarding