Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Harrison

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Faceplant » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Went to Bear Creek today. Friggin awesome is all I have to say. 20km from breakwater to the creek. I only brought 12M and boy was I wrong. I figured it was a lightwind spot. Everyone was on a 9 or 10M. Waves started to form in the thigh high range. Met a few local kiters and sailers who were super friendly. Fresh clear warm water was awesome.
A rigid hull inflatable with at least a 50HP was on scene for anyone who might've needed help. The guys who run the Harrison Windsport Society were there and were very friendly.
According to these guys it is normal for it to blow 20+ kt up at bear creek. I found my new "local" kite spot. For me it's 90 min from my door.

The downside is no on site rescue is advertised, but it's common for there to be a boat at the site, or one is easily available as the guys live near the site and have access to or own a boat.
Faceplant

by C36 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:11 am

FP: Sound awesome! I have wanted to sail there, but the rumours of the tire-eating-sharp-shale road and red necks have keep me from exploring. How was the road? Run into any 'characters'?
C36

by Faceplant » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:49 am

The road was way better than expected. It's approximately 15km of gravel. We had our 1year old in the car seat, and there was no whining in the back. Bear Creek site is managed by a nice older gentlemen. He was wandering around talking with people and keeps the place clean. He also was monitoring who was parked incorrectly. I have a feeling that the rowdies might venture further up the road.
Mid week the guy told me no one was there from Mon to Thurs.
Faceplant

by C36 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Faceplant wrote:The road was way better than expected. It's approximately 15km of gravel. We had our 1year old in the car seat, and there was no whining in the back. Bear Creek site is managed by a nice older gentlemen. He was wandering around talking with people and keeps the place clean. He also was monitoring who was parked incorrectly. I have a feeling that the rowdies might venture further up the road.
Mid week the guy told me no one was there from Mon to Thurs.

8-) Thanks. Good to know. I have often thought it might be something like Nininat but, closer and cheaper (no ferry).
C36

Return to Kiteboarding