Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish today

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Mike » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:02 pm

C36 wrote:I sent a note off to the contact person at Squamish Terminals asking if they are testing ocean water quality (as their release of Apr 24 doesn't mention it) and I will post their response.

Good question Dave. I had also sent a follow up question about testing and the health/enviro. Folks requirements/necessity for west of the terminal.
Mike

by C36 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:59 pm

C36 wrote:I sent a note off to the contact person at Squamish Terminals asking if they are testing ocean water quality (as their release of Apr 24 doesn't mention it) and I will post their response.

Mike wrote:Good question Dave. I had also sent a follow up question about testing and the health/enviro. Folks requirements/necessity for west of the terminal.

Thanks Mike.

Jack1587 wrote:Here's some news on the water :D Good news :D

"All results received to-date for deposition (surface wipe samples) are internally consistent and indicate PAH concentrations were below laboratory method detection limits and that fallout or deposition from the fire was at such low levels (none was detected) that there is little or no risk of negative impact to surfaces including soil, vegetation and water"

Off of Squamish.ca

Careful - this information is posted under the heading of "Particulate sampling test results" - to my understanding they are testing for air borne particulate the has travelled in the air and has since settled on surfaces (including soil, vegetation and water). From the map of the plume zone from the fire most of these particulates would have travelled in land.

What I am more concerned about is the toxins that may have dripped from the dock itself directly into the ocean water during the fire (by products of asphalt and creosote being burned at high temperatures).
C36

by 8mdude » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:37 am

Looking good. No booms on the water except my boom.

About 12 to 16 knots now. Just 2 kiters here so far. Rigging 7m.
8mdude

by Craig » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Anyone at nexen? Or is everyone launching from the spit?
Craig

by C36 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Question posed (6:15 PM, Friday, April 24, 2015):

"I read through the April 24 release issued by Squamish Terminals and there is no reference to ocean water testing being done. Could you please let me know if any is being done and if so when the results will be released?"

Response provided by Squamish Terminals (9:13:52 AM, Saturday, April 25, 2015):

"Good Morning David,

Thank you for your email. Please note the response below. We will post this information on our Facebook Page/Website but if there is an email at Squamish Windsports Society that we should also be forwarding to please advise.

Envirochem Services Inc., retained by Squamish Terminals, advises that no sampling of water has been undertaken, however debris is contained and is anticipated as a non-issue at this time. If debris is observed it would be advisable to simply avoid coming into direct contact with it as per District of Squamish Advisory. Please contact Squamish Terminals at info@sqterminals.com or 604-892-3511 if any debris is observed in the area so it can be picked up. Other than that there are no anticipated risks for recreational kite boarders and wind surfers near the Squamish River dyke.

Sincerely,
K

Kim Stegeman-Lowe, CPA, CMA | Vice President Administration
Squamish Terminals Ltd.| PO Box 1520, 37500 Third Avenue | Squamish, BC | V8B 0B1
Local T: 604-892-3511 ext. 304 | M: 604-880-6241 | Vancouver T: 604-687-6891 | F: 604-892-5623
E: kim_stegeman@sqterminals.com W: http://www.squamishterminals.com or follow us on...

FacebookLinkedIn

Mission – Squamish Terminals is a leading break-bulk cargo handling facility delivering superior services, while continuously improving all aspects of the business for the benefit of our stakeholders.

If you need to print, please remember to recycle."

My reply to Squamish Terminals (1:57 PM. Saturday, April 25, 2015):

"Kim:

Thanks for the reply. I will share the information you have provided via http://www.wtfbc.ca (a site used by the windsports community in Vancouver) but would request that you forward this information onto the SWS directly via the contact information listed here:
http://www.squamishwindsports.com/about/contact/

Personally I would have preferred if water testing had been completed - it is always better to know the facts rather than making assumptions in my opinion, especially when human health is concerned.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

David"
C36

by spinmaster3000 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Soooo....don't touch the carcinogens!

Anyone have a pump? Mine is broken and I want to come up
spinmaster3000

by spinmaster3000 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks for taking the initiative and for sharing this info!

C36 wrote:Question posed (6:15 PM, Friday, April 24, 2015):

"I read through the April 24 release issued by Squamish Terminals and there is no reference to ocean water testing being done. Could you please let me know if any is being done and if so when the results will be released?"

Response provided by Squamish Terminals (9:13:52 AM, Saturday, April 25, 2015):

"Good Morning David,

Thank you for your email. Please note the response below. We will post this information on our Facebook Page/Website but if there is an email at Squamish Windsports Society that we should also be forwarding to please advise.

Envirochem Services Inc., retained by Squamish Terminals, advises that no sampling of water has been undertaken, however debris is contained and is anticipated as a non-issue at this time. If debris is observed it would be advisable to simply avoid coming into direct contact with it as per District of Squamish Advisory. Please contact Squamish Terminals at info@sqterminals.com or 604-892-3511 if any debris is observed in the area so it can be picked up. Other than that there are no anticipated risks for recreational kite boarders and wind surfers near the Squamish River dyke.

Sincerely,
K

Kim Stegeman-Lowe, CPA, CMA | Vice President Administration
Squamish Terminals Ltd.| PO Box 1520, 37500 Third Avenue | Squamish, BC | V8B 0B1
Local T: 604-892-3511 ext. 304 | M: 604-880-6241 | Vancouver T: 604-687-6891 | F: 604-892-5623
E: kim_stegeman@sqterminals.com W: http://www.squamishterminals.com or follow us on...

FacebookLinkedIn

Mission – Squamish Terminals is a leading break-bulk cargo handling facility delivering superior services, while continuously improving all aspects of the business for the benefit of our stakeholders.

If you need to print, please remember to recycle."

My reply to Squamish Terminals (1:57 PM. Saturday, April 25, 2015):

"Kim:

Thanks for the reply. I will share the information you have provided via http://www.wtfbc.ca (a site used by the windsports community in Vancouver) but would request that you forward this information onto the SWS directly via the contact information listed here:
http://www.squamishwindsports.com/about/contact/

Personally I would have preferred if water testing had been completed - it is always better to know the facts rather than making assumptions in my opinion, especially when human health is concerned.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

David"
spinmaster3000

by spinmaster3000 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:39 pm

Pretty out here today
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 12906 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 12906 times
spinmaster3000

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks for digging deeper, Dave. Love the irony of the mission statement in contrast with the recent occurrence :lol:

Looks like the graph just keeps picking up! Probably cause the skies cleared late town here. Enjoy.
AdrienGrelon

by Mike » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks for sharing Dave. Interesting that I didn't get a reply to my follow up question even though I sent it about 1/2 hour before yours. I asked:

"Is there going to be any testing on the west side of the terminal (west side opposite of where the fire was)? Is this required by any of the health or environmental agencies? This is the side the majority of kiteborders and windsurfers launch from."
Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Kiteboarding