Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish today

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Craig » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:00 pm

I have "heard" that there is now a boom set out at nexen to catch "charred wood debris". Have not been down to take a look. This may inhibit launching from the beach side. Most of the debris is staying on shore, like many of the floating logs, as the tide goes out, the logs get pushed by the wind onto the sand and implant themselves.

Nothing heard about particulate or contamination of the water specifically.

Is Sq expecting wind this weekend?

Craig.
Craig

by Craig » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:36 pm

I took a drive down to nexen at lunch. there is 2 booms that cover the beach/launch. They are attached to the end of the "spit" pilings where most people launch and lead across to the port, one to the south end one to the north end. There are pieces of charred wood on the beach, and there is a DOS sign recommending no water use. there was a bit of a smell lingering, just of charred wood, smoke etc. I didn't taste the water to check for chemicals.......

If you did launch you would have to either hit the traditional spit (estuary) or go off the south east side of nexen, to the east of the old ferry dock. Doable but tricky entrance down the rocks.

Hope nobody posts a pic of a kiter airing over the boom, if it is windy....just sayin.
Craig

by spinmaster3000 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:38 pm

Craig wrote:Hope nobody posts a pic of a kiter airing over the boom, if it is windy....just sayin.

...but wouldn't that pic be....wait for it....

sick?
spinmaster3000

by AdrienGrelon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:41 pm

spinmaster3000 wrote:
Craig wrote:Hope nobody posts a pic of a kiter airing over the boom, if it is windy....just sayin.

...but wouldn't that pic be....wait for it....

sick?

AdrienGrelon

by spinmaster3000 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:45 pm

HAHAHA....I couldn't resist! I was inspired by all of the corny jokes from earlier this week. :)
spinmaster3000

by Mike » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:44 pm

This morning I e-mailed Squamish Terminal at their "contact us" e-mail re: the fire. The reply I got was:

The beach is not closed, we are just asking the public to use caution. The following info has been posted today so hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any further questions.

The posting today is at the below link:

http://www.sqterminals.com/
Mike

by C36 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks Mike! That's encouraging (except for the three booms crossing the entrance to the cover at Nexen). :roll:

I sent a note off to the contact person at Squamish Terminals asking if they are testing ocean water quality (as their release of Apr 24 doesn't mention it) and I will post their response.
Last edited by C36 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Jack1587 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:29 pm

Here's some news on the water :D Good news :D

"All results received to-date for deposition (surface wipe samples) are internally consistent and indicate PAH concentrations were below laboratory method detection limits and that fallout or deposition from the fire was at such low levels (none was detected) that there is little or no risk of negative impact to surfaces including soil, vegetation and water"

Off of Squamish.ca
Jack1587

by 8mdude » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:17 pm

See you Squamish this weekend
8mdude

by Alton » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Jack1587 wrote:Here's some news on the water :D Good news :D

"All results received to-date for deposition (surface wipe samples) are internally consistent and indicate PAH concentrations were below laboratory method detection limits and that fallout or deposition from the fire was at such low levels (none was detected) that there is little or no risk of negative impact to surfaces including soil, vegetation and water"

Off of Squamish.ca

http://squamish.ca/yourgovernment/news/new-news-page/
Alton

PreviousNext

Return to Kiteboarding