Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui Day 7

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:55 am

The Maui trip is coming to an end, had my final day sailing today. :( Went to Sprecks, man that place can be crazy when the wind cranks!
Saw some great loop action on the break, wicked stalled forwards and push loops by the Fanatic team. Man those guys build up speed to hit those ramps, never seen anything like it. They had taken over the house near the beach today with Fanatic gear everywhere. Wind swell was huge outside and there were some nice waves but side on shore is tricky. On one really big wave I went for a top turn and got back winded getting the sail right in the face. :o Since there was no DLT action to be had today I just worked on some of Matts tips and had fun. Made some huge jumps, not to hard to get air when your already 6 feet off the water by the time you leave those ramps! Plus the ones at the break are vertical. And no I didn't try any loops, just wanted to enjoy my last day as I knew it was going to be a long time before I saw any action like that again. Sad to be leaving, I can see why the locals are such good sailors, you don't have to wait weeks between sessions, the conditions are unreal, plus sailing in the company of so many awesome sailors you can't help but improve. Oh well back to Boundary Bay if I'm lucky, Squamish is going to be hard to handle after this. :cry: :cry: Bring on the Oregon Coast!!! See you guys soon.
Michael

by Alton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:07 am

Great way to end the trip. Not much windsurfing at Boundary Bay while you were away (or even this season) so your Maui was the right call. If next years Boundary Bay season is just as bad, you better start booking your next Maui trip now.
Alton

by Michael » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 am

Alton wrote:Great way to end the trip. Not much windsurfing at Boundary Bay while you were away (or even this season) so your Maui was the right call. If next years Boundary Bay season is just as bad, you better start booking your next Maui trip now.

I was thinking about extending the trip for another week, if I didn't have work to go back to.
Going to have to start destination sailing more often I think. :D Like Tony's sister who I saw at Kanaha the other day. They've got the right idea!
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:06 am

Michael wrote:Going to have to start destination sailing more often I think. :D Like Tony's sister who I saw at Kanaha the other day.

What? How come I wasn't invited? :o
LeopardSkin

by Alton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:11 am

Michael wrote:Going to have to start destination sailing more often I think. :D Like Tony's sister who I saw at Kanaha the other day. They've got the right idea!

Agreed. Destination windsurfing makes more sense nowadays considering the changes in weather patterns lately. This explains why I hardly recognized anyone (about 100 windsurfers) at the Red Bull Storm Chase event who rarely windsurf locally.
Alton

by LeopardSkin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:17 am

Destination kiting too. I know a lot of kiters who only kite at Gorge, Maui, Mexico. They don't kite locally.
LeopardSkin

by Alton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:19 am

LeopardSkin wrote:Destination kiting too. I know a lot of kiters who only kite at Gorge, Maui, Mexico. They don't kite locally.

No need for destination kiting ... there's enough wind kiting locally.
Alton

by LeopardSkin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:26 am

Alton, Our Fearless Leader wrote:.
No need for destination kiting ... there's enough wind kiting locally.

They can't be bothered to kite locally. Too cold. Have to check forecasts all the time. Inconsistent wind in winter. No waves. Can't kite without a wetsuit. No palm trees. Etc., etc., etc.
Last edited by LeopardSkin on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeopardSkin

by Alton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 am

LeopardSkin wrote:They can't be bothered to kite locally. Too cold. Have to check forecasts all the time. Inconsistent wind in winter. No waves. Can't kite without a wetsuit. No palm trees. Etc., etc., etc.

Wimps !!!
Alton

by LeopardSkin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:38 am

It's a scheduling issue. They're committed to family and work. They can't be on constant standby, to be rewarded with 8 knots and flat water.
LeopardSkin

Next

Return to Windsurfing