Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui Day 2

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:24 am

Sailed at Sprecks today and took an hour lesson with MP. Great lesson, Matt's very cool, but it's humbling to hear all your mistakes and watch him sail. Definitely saw an improvement in my sailing right away though. Sprecks is a nice place to sail, reminded me of Centennial with 2 meter wind swell. :D There were a few nice waves, not like yesterday but the wind seems to be not as gusty there. Was over powered on 4.7/ 86L if I was back at home it would have been 4.2 but it was nice to have that extra power. After my lesson I went back out by myself.
There was only 5 of use out there and there were a few guys on some new Starboard gear, I guess testing,and they were ripping up those small waves. Another great day!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 .jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 .jpg (1011.63 KiB) Viewed 10795 times
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 9.07.jpeg
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 9.07.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 10795 times
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 9.04.jpeg
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 9.04.jpeg (893.73 KiB) Viewed 10795 times
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 9.03.jpeg
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 9.03.jpeg (971.44 KiB) Viewed 10795 times
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:47 am

Super jealous :D Board shorts over your shorty though?? Bringing back the now old-school kiting style :lol:
AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:11 am

8-) Looks like some nice swell for Sprecs! Party waves/coaching from MP! :D

:idea: You can sail upwind to Sugar Cove from there (better waves and MP often takes his forward lessons there from what I saw), sail the reef just downwind (better waves off the end of the runway, but watch tide) or do a downwinder to Camp 1 from there too (better waves, just watch the dry reef close to shore). My two cents.

Enjoy! :D :D :D
C36

by Michael » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:42 am

C36 wrote:You can sail upwind to Sugar Cove from there (better waves and MP often takes his forward lessons there from what I saw),

Hey Dave that's actually where we were. We launched from Sprecks and sail straight up wind, nice place for sure.

AdrienGrelon wrote:Super jealous :D Board shorts over your shorty though?? Bringing back the now old-school kiting style :lol:

Dude... it's Maui no shorty required, just board shorts and a rash guard. :lol:
You would love it here!
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:58 am

Michael wrote:Dude... it's Maui no shorty required, just board shorts and a rash guard. :lol:

I had a feeling that might be the case :D

Michael wrote:You would love it here!

I'm skeptical :lol:

You should get some coaching on forwards and backies while you've got a good coach under your hand! I'm sure MP has coached so many people he knows exactly the right cues and whatnot and you could be stomping forwards in a day, as he could adjust your technique between attempts and boooooost progress and correct muscle memory! (unlike me: pull the trigger with bad technique 30 times in a session and engrain garbage muscle memory :lol: :( )

Keep the reports coming and hopefully we'll have our local session to counter-brag about tomorrow :lol:
AdrienGrelon

by Chuck » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:17 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:
Michael wrote:Dude... it's Maui no shorty required, just board shorts and a rash guard. :lol:

I had a feeling that might be the case :D

Michael wrote:You would love it here!

I'm skeptical :lol:

You should get some coaching on forwards and backies while you've got a good coach under your hand! I'm sure MP has coached so many people he knows exactly the right cues and whatnot and you could be stomping forwards in a day, as he could adjust your technique between attempts and boooooost progress and correct muscle memory! (unlike me: pull the trigger with bad technique 30 times in a session and engrain garbage muscle memory :lol: :( )

Keep the reports coming and hopefully we'll have our local session to counter-brag about tomorrow :lol:

'Garbage Muscle Memory' Ahahahahahaha! :D

There's someone on this site, don't want to call him out to embarrass him, let's just call him 'B35' :D who still seems to insist on doing these 'practise' forwards sans board while schlogging along....

Maui is awesome for the wind/wave angle ESP at Sprecks, you can't not get air! Just sheet in and look behind you! Do IT do IT do IT!!

Glad you're getting some, Michael! Living vicariously through your posts, keep 'em coming!!!
Chuck

by LeopardSkin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:01 pm

haha! Hey Michael! Glad you're getting some. You still wearing socks under the booties?
LeopardSkin

by Michael » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:14 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:You should get some coaching on forwards and backies while you've got a good coach under your hand!

Funny you should mention that. Matt "what do you want to work on?" Me "Forwards"
Matt "lets see your jumps first" after sailing around for a while he gave me a few tips to get me boosting some air, so maybe next time. I hope to get out with him one more time before I go. This is a shot he took on the outside of Sprecks. Love that clear blue water and rolling swell!

You still wearing socks under the booties?
Nope figured out fast that wasn't a good idea. Got rid of the socks then the booties, cut my foot on the reef so now back to the booties. Which came in very handy a Sprecks, that reef is shallow!

Glad you're getting some, Michael! Living vicariously through your posts, keep 'em coming!!!

Thanks Chuck, will do. No wind today so we went snorkelling and then to 1000 peaks for a SUP session with the kids.
Attachments
1000PEAKS.JPG
1000PEAKS.JPG (87.89 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
Michael Neilson.jpg
Michael Neilson.jpg (369.96 KiB) Viewed 10723 times
Michael

by C36 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:30 am

Love the pics and stoke! :D :D :D

Michael wrote:...Great lesson, Matt's very cool, but it's humbling to hear all your mistakes and watch him sail. Definitely saw an improvement in my sailing right away though...

Would be interested in hearing some of 'corrections' suggested M (whenever time permits).

AdrienGrelon wrote:You should get some coaching on forwards and backies while you've got a good coach under your hand!

Michael wrote:Funny you should mention that. Matt "what do you want to work on?" Me "Forwards"
Matt "lets see your jumps first" after sailing around for a while he gave me a few tips to get me boosting some air, so maybe next time.

Sounds like solid advice - like you would expect from an experienced coach (break the skill down into bite-size pieces, master them and then bundle them all together). Similar approach to what Wyatt suggested in PSC. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. Appreciated as always.

The good news is there no urchins on the north shore reefs (only the south shore reefs) from what I have heard. When kids asked my local friend how to avoid getting stuck by urchins his advice was, "Fall flat." The kids still joke about that. :lol:

Thanks again M. Enjoy it all! :D :D :D
C36

by Mike » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:00 am

Keep the reports and photos coming. Seeing your photos really makes me wish I invested in a go pro when there. Not that I've attempted any forwards for the last few years but that jump photo looks like you got a great downwind angle set up.
Mike

Next

Return to Windsurfing