Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui Day 2

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:44 pm

The quintessential Maui day. I almost gave up today. Was running late after spending the morning at The Cove teaching the kids to SUP. There were some nice waves so I took a few rides as well but the inflatable SUPs are a touch wobbly! :o I had to get to Sprecks to return my 86L to Matt but went to Secondwind first to get a bigger board. While I was there they checked the webcam to look at the conditions and there was nothing happing at all, the wind had died. I decided not to sail but went Sprecks to drop off the board and when I got there the wind had picked up and it looked really nice. Matt didn't have a bigger board so I was going to just give up but when I was leaving the parking lot Richard pulled in! Classic :D I always see Richard in Maui! He's like "Michael go get a bigger board!" I said I'd pass as it was almost 3:00 but on the way into town I couldn't resist, so I went to the first rental place I saw, Hawaiian Island, and got a Kode 103L. Only in Maui can you go from the beach and back with a rental board in 20 minutes. :D By the time I got back the wind was cranking so rigged the 4.7 and hit the water. Sorry no pics today as I returned Matts Clew-view, I got a mast mount but had some technical difficulties and gave up to get out on the water. So this is when it gets good. Unbelievable day, not epic wave sailing but beautiful.
It seemed surreal, I saw at least 5 turtles, sailed though a school of flying fish, which freaked me out they were flying right by my head! There was a rainbow over the Northshore, and at one point the swell was so big in front of me I couldn't see the shore, just a wall of water. I sailed around with Richard and we made a couple of long reaches up to Camp 1, the wind was from the NE so sailing up there and then back to Sugar Cove was no problem. My last reach I went back up there solo and when I got up there I saw the biggest wave I ever seen start breaking way outside, like those big ones you see at Lanes, it looked the size of a house, from my point of view anyways. :D I was sailing right towards it and my heart just jumped, I jibed and feel in of course, just panicking to get the hell out there but when I got up I realized it was not that close. The swell really started pumping at the end but it was hard to catch rides with the wind side on shore and it was getting flukey. I ended up getting washed on the reef and cut my leg, not bad but decided to pack it in. To top it off I was on the beach talking to Richard and a whale breached on the outside! Sick day, lesson learned if it's windy in Maui go sailing you never know.
Michael

by Alton » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:01 am

Whoa ... crazy day. Glad you scored a nice session despite the cut.
Alton

by C36 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:30 am

Awesome! Sounds like all of nature was out playing too! What a treat! :D :D :D
C36

by Mike » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:54 am

Glad to hear you went for it so no regrets. Surreal sounds like the word. Take good care of the cuts - there are apparently superbugs lurking in the sand.
Mike

by gabrielb » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:25 am

2 cents : for any coral cuts in Hawaii lots of polysporin (antibiotic cream). It should be your #1 thing to pack for hi.
cuts won't heal properly otherwise. It DOES leave a scar if untreated, even if small if you don't use any antibiotic cream (it's the only downer in hi).
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:07 am

gabrielb wrote:2 cents : for any coral cuts in Hawaii lots of polysporin (antibiotic cream). It should be your #1 thing to pack for hi.
cuts won't heal properly otherwise. It DOES leave a scar if untreated, even if small if you don't use any antibiotic cream (it's the only downer in hi).

:idea: I used to use Hydrogen peroxide for cleansing cuts prior to treating (polysporin), but since RedBaron's blood infection (cellulitis) at Pistol River last year I have been carrying Iodine (stronger disinfectant from what I understand). I also took gel super-glue to PSC (and still carry it) for use in sealing up open wounds (cracks in heels and such). Always best to seek medical advice, especially before trying any of these suggestions! :D ;)

/edit - Forgot to mention New Skin (handy to have too).
Last edited by C36 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
C36

by Tony360 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:12 am

For bad reef cuts the only product that allows you to avoid infection from the reef polyps and get back in the water immediately is a Chinese medicine which I found out about in Indo, Tieh Ta Yao Gin; http://www.solsticemed.com/Tieh-Ta-Yao- ... p/ttyg.htm

Polysporin will disinfect and speed healing but only if you stay out of the water. This "Tieh Ta Yao Gin" will cauterize the wound immediately so that you are good to go back in the water. It should be available at a herbalist in Maui but if not it's on Amazon. Just note this is an "off label" use as the product specifically says do not use on wounds. However I have used it on some truly horrible living reef cuts and it works great, only downside is that it leaves huge scars.
Tony360

by Michael » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:32 am

Alton wrote:Whoa ... crazy day. Glad you scored a nice session despite the cut.

Thanks Alton. You would have some great sessions out here on that surfboard of yours! Wifi everywhere so very civilized. :D
Cuts very small, just hurt a lot yesterday but lots of antiseptic wash and polysporin right when I got out of the water and repeated applications last night it has already started healing well. Thanks for all the first aid tips! I carry a first aid kit with me always, loaded with iodine, polysporin, antiseptic wipes and lots of bandaids. Last time I was hear I cut my foot of the reef and had to dig the bits of coral out of it, not fun but no infection.

Looks like another good day!
Michael

Previous

Return to Windsurfing