Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Fanatic Stubby Wave Board

Windsurfing shop talk

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:21 pm

This thing seems to turn on the dime!

AdrienGrelon

by gabrielb » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:54 pm

2 cents:
Stubby surfboards. Japanese surfers in Honolulu have money, they go to the surf shops and they come out with this new stubby (5'8) surfboard just like the one posted. There I am in a 6'5 surfboard next to this Japanese with his 5'8, everybody else in longboards. After having paddled a week before and surfed for 3 days I can get any wave (more than any local longboard), but the stubby surfboard would get none, I guess there is not enough volume.
I know windsurfing is different but you need that front double concave tip when wave is passing you and you need to move your weight to the front to catch it, and situations when you are praying the nose does not dive into the water and get catapulted as the wave closes too fast... when you get enough speed then it's like skating, nose becomes irrelevant, full weight in the back, like the guy in the video ... I rely on it on lazy waves ... but that's not by windsurfing experience.
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that thing looks fugly to me (like a giant mutant twin tip kiteboard) ~ and remember noses do come in handy in certain situations (like landing back loops nose first for instance) :D ;)
C36

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks for the comparisons to surf surfboards, Gabriel. I think if shorter-nosed boards worked for most conditions in windsurfing, companies would've been making and selling them for years. I can imagine this thing would be super fun in the right conditions, but like you and Dave have said, short nose = loads of draw backs... less tacking and easy upwind shlogging capabilities means a less functional wave board. Not to mention I can imagine this thing being super finicky out of a top turn, with nose dives being harder to recover from.

Still, interesting to see board companies trying some new (or recycling) old ideas.
AdrienGrelon

by tweegster » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:24 pm

"Tomo" Modern Planing Hull

Don't know if he was first, but teaming up with firewire sure brought the shape to the masses. Must have some merit as almost every manufacturer has copied.

I haven't tried one myself, shape would make a good board for traveling. But... in 5 years will you have the 'sigma' kite of board design?
tweegster

Return to Windsurfing