Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Bowen Island Windsurfing?

Windsurfing shop talk

by mjamero » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Is it possible to windsurf launching from Bowen Island? If so where are good locations? When is the best time to sail?
mjamero

by AdrienGrelon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:01 pm

I think it would be awesome on any arctic outflow day. Launching from Furry Creek (as dabbled with by Adrian, Massimo, Dave, myself and others) during strong outflows can be tricky as a touch too much east in the wind can cause there to be a big wind shadow (50 to 250m). If you were to launch from the northern side of Bowen it would a lot more resilient to wind direction fluctuations. There's a video on youtube showing how strong the wind is there during an outflow, I'll find the link later.

I have no idea where you would launch, but I'm sure there are options to be explored. It would probably be less sketchy than Furry Creek for kiters, too.
AdrienGrelon

by ShonanDB » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:53 pm

I have a friend who lives on Bowen Island and he said that there are a few places that you could launch from around the Island but he himself has never launched there. I have been watching for a good day to go and visit but haven't found the right timing yet. The ferry ride is inexpensive as well, around $20 return.
ShonanDB

by mjamero » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm

My family is looking at different communities to move to in and around the Lower Mainland. (I posted about Maple Ridge and the Fraser a few weeks ago). Bowen Island is now also on our list along with Maple Ridge due to the "relatively" more affordable real-estate. How would the winds and sailing on Bowen be like say in comparison to Jericho? In particular during the warmer sailing months from roughly April to October.
mjamero

by Brad R » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 pm

My brother lives there and has never sailed there. Even after 3 years the stars haven't lined up, though that may have more to do with his schedule than anything... I'll ask him to post on this when I see him next, I think he said there are sailable areas but he hadn't tried them yet...
Brad R

Return to Windsurfing