Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Oregon Coast 2015

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Tony360 wrote:Great wave and nice shot Michael! Next time drop your back knee and pull in...it hurts way less getting shut down in the barrel than getting smacked by the lip trying to outrun the section! :D

Pretty sure both options have some risk - I saw Winddoctor get barrlled in this one and go into hyper spin-cycle before getting spit out. Rather painful to watch that one close up.

Personally one of my most frightening moments of the trip for me was getting barrelled by a wave dumping on the inside after a windsurfing off-the-lip attempt gone wrong and as I was getting rolled with my gear I was thinking this was about the worst possble place to be at that moment - luckily both my body and gear escaped without issue, but I was VERY suprised and thankful.
C36

by Tony360 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:15 am

C36 wrote:Pretty sure both options have some risk - I saw Winddoctor get barrlled in this one and go into hyper spin-cycle before getting spit out. Rather painful to watch that one close up.

Personally one of my most frightening moments of the trip for me was getting barrelled by a wave dumping on the inside after a windsurfing off-the-lip attempt gone wrong and as I was getting rolled with my gear I was thinking this was about the worst possble place to be at that moment - luckily both my body and gear escaped without issue, but I was VERY suprised and thankful.

I should clarify that the inside the barrel is often the safest place if you are surfing. With heavy equipment - like windsurfing gear or even a paddle for SUP-ing - getting rolled is probably not the best thing as you might wear a mast, boom, or paddle to the face.
Tony360

Previous

Return to Windsurfing