Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Locust/ Lummi Shore RD

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Has anyone ever launched from the Lummi Reservation? It looks like you could drive right down Lummi Shore Rd which is right on the beach? If you go down near the end there is a little Island called Postage Island, it has a nice sand bank that might produce some nice waves.

Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 9.30.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 9.30.04 PM.png (467.42 KiB) Viewed 11032 times

Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 9.30.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 9.30.31 PM.png (818.68 KiB) Viewed 11032 times
Michael

by Chuck » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:50 pm

Yes Michael, there is a Santa Claus

You have unwittingly stumbled upon the holy grail for Outflow kiting/windsurfing in the Pacific NW.
All those days of zero wind, or bone chilling 15 mph outflows locally translate into howling 35 mph+ Not too chilly awesomeness once you cross the border...

Remember how much windier it was when we sailed the Bbay easterlies, at the northern edge of the bay compared to when we ventures further south, past 3rd avenue? Same sort of effect here, only on a much larger scale!
The outflow wind is not only stronger down towards Lummi, but fans out in a much larger, rideable area. The wrap of the Portage sland makes for a large, friendly catchers' mitt so no worries about getting blown away out into Bellingham bay.

Hate to say it, but your Quad with the smallest of fins would be the weapon of choice, as it is quite tidal and veerrry shallow on lower tides....or we need to get you a kite ;)

Access can be an issue as it is located on Native land, and from what I've heard fairly important fishing/crabbing/clamming resources that are highly prized, fiercely protected and somewhat contentious if one parks in the wrong area....I could be wrong but I'm sure
Some of the Bellingham locals could proved a bit more insight.

Just as Locust is worth the trip for a good SE I think this is worth a gander when (if!) the next big outflow rolls through.....I've been standing in windless Centennial when guys have hit solid 7m here during the outflows...
Chuck

by C36 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:48 am

Michael wrote:Has anyone ever launched from the Lummi Reservation? It looks like you could drive right down Lummi Shore Rd which is right on the beach? If you go down near the end there is a little Island called Postage Island, it has a nice sand bank that might produce some nice waves

Good eye M. I noticed the same thing and considered driving out there when I was down there (with no wind) last Sunday. But wasn't sure what the gain would be over Locust on a SE (thought you might be in shallower water as Chuck has mentioned). Looking across the bay from Locust some of the land over on the west side has a healthy rise to it (not sure if it is Portage Island or the next land mass to the west - Lummi Island). If it is Portage, that could render any point break on a SE windless, likely less of an issue on NE, even if it does rise.

Never thought about a NE outflow. Even if deep enough to be sailable on outflow that short fetch would make for pretty flat water (lagoons in the Mags, Canadian Hole on the Outer Banks or Blackie Spit flat) - fun for the flat water spinners maybe? That catcher's mitt' is bigger than I thought - it measures about 2 km (about the same distance as the width of Howe Sound at the spit). :shock:

Funny about the diminishing wind south of 3rd, I have experienced that too. But on a least two sessions this year I have also noticed the reverse - slightly stronger corridor of wind from 3rd to Maple Beach then lightening south end of Maple and lightening slightly from Centennial north.

Likely best to ask the locals what they know about the spot (as Chuck suggested). I always find it super frustrating to burn water time when its windy scoping out dead ends when you don't end up sailing (read Crescent Beach at Whidbey Island).

8-) Lots of hidden treasures in our midst.
Last edited by C36 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Michael » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:17 am

You have unwittingly stumbled upon the holy grail for Outflow kiting/windsurfing in the Pacific NW.
Sweet! Going to have to check this place out!

wasn't sure what the gain would be over Locust on a SE

Well for one you can park right on the beach, and if you can get out to that sand bank on the Island there could be some sweet waves out there, especially as this place seems to be way windier than our local spots these days. Definitely an excuse for a recon trip.
Michael

by C36 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:40 am

Chuck wrote:You have unwittingly stumbled upon the holy grail for Outflow kiting/windsurfing in the Pacific NW.

Michael wrote:Sweet! Going to have to check this place out!

C36 wrote:wasn't sure what the gain would be over Locust on a SE

Michael wrote:Well for one you can park right on the beach, and if you can get out to that sand bank on the Island there could be some sweet waves out there, especially as this place seems to be way windier than our local spots these days. Definitely an excuse for a recon trip.

Likely worth a 'look-see' on a high-tide SE (as Locust would be safe Plan B) and even a chilly high-tide outflow (if temps are warmer).

Last time out at Locust when it was 4.0 in the morning with about 6' tide (from memory) there were some interesting wind swell out just south of the 'ship wreck' and just to the west of it. It seemed like the deeper drainage channels of the Lummi River were causing the swell to roll further in and change direction slightly. :D The downside is that spot is a LONG way from shore (need a steady wind day to make it there windsurfing) and slightly to windward of the launch. :?
C36

by C36 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:53 am

Friday afternoon outflow (see GFS spotter)? Tide is looking like a big swing though - 7' at noon dropping to 1' at dusk ~ tide might be better Saturday morning - 6' to 7'

:?: Chuck (or anyone else): Any idea what tides are actually sailable on that side of the bay?
C36

by Alton » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:43 am

C36 wrote:Friday afternoon outflow (see GFS spotter)? Tide is looking like a big swing though - 7' at noon dropping to 1' at dusk ~ tide might be better Saturday morning - 6' to 7'

:?: Chuck (or anyone else): Any idea what tides are actually sailable on that side of the bay?

Dave - Clay sent us this link for Sandy Point Arm which is close to Lumni Island.
Alton

by Lowesdown » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Lowesdown

by Chuck » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:56 pm

Looking at GSpot and Windguru for Friday, tomorrow's outflows might be a great time to check out Portage Island/Lummi spots. The 2 pm model is interesting as it shows a light NW locally but a stronger NE south of the border....
Chuck

by C36 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Lowesdown wrote:also this may be of use:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18424.shtml

Very helpful - thanks! :D
Shows there is more depth at Portage Bay than at Locust Beach, so it would likely be sailable on a 5' tide and likely lower. Also worth noting the location of the hazards shown too. :(
C36

Return to Windsurfing