Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Age old topic - vehicles for windsurfing!

Windsurfing shop talk

by MikeyP » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi all,

Getting to that time again when I am thinking of switching cars.

I would like to have something that over the summer I can drive to work with my gear in and if it looks windy, leave early afternoon and make it to Squamish, as well as take kit down to the Gorge and still have a passenger sit next to me.

I've always stuck my boards on a roof rack (unsecured) or in my car/suv (but with a passenger behind).

Been ages since I last looked:
- For those who stick gear on top of the car, what do you do to secure it?
- Aside from a full on van, suggestions of any trucks/suv/mini vans which you can stick gear inside comfortably without the front seats becoming some wet sandy mess?

Any musings would be much appreciated!

Mikey
MikeyP

by LeopardSkin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:44 pm

How about Ford Transit Connect.
LeopardSkin

by ShonanDB » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:00 pm

"- For those who stick gear on top of the car, what do you do to secure it?"

I use a set of locking aluminum blocks that are machined to fit into the mast track or fin box (US box). They slide in and lock by putting a cable through the exposed holes. The only way they will come out is if you cut the cable and slide them apart so if someone really wants the board and they have bolt cutters and some time, it will be gone. They would probably break into a vehicle if they wanted it that badly anyway so it is mainly a deterrent so someone can't just cut the strap and walk away with your board. I lock the cable to the roof racks and keep my sails in a gear box and haven't had a problem.
ShonanDB

by tweegster » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Mitsubishi Delica for me, good on gas (for size) but not too fast. Sucks on the I-5. Good for incognito camping (pop tops are a dead giveaway).

New generations have longer wheelbase and more power, way nicer for the freeway.

If we are doing a quick weekend blast I often throw boards (surf, SUP & Kite, not WS) on the car roof racks. My friends and I all use these locking straps after some tweekers stole my wife and I surfboards off our roof racks while we were sleeping in a tent right beside. F-in Westport Tweekers.

http://store.magicseaweed.com/SPT-Locka ... /Item/191/

Straps are nice to use and the heavy straps don't flap in the wind. Good product, marginal difficulty for someone determined, but maybe they will steal someone elses' stuff instead. :x
tweegster

by MikeyP » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Great, thanks! Plenty to look at and think about between the ford and delica type minivans. I'll probably order some of those straps as well in the meantime!

Cheers,

Mikey
MikeyP

by Brian C » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 pm

I've had a 2003 Honda Odyssey minivan since it was new and it's still my favourite windsurfing/lightweight camping vehicle. If you fold down the back seat and take out the middle seats (they quick-release), you have a nearly flat 4'x8' floor behind the two front seats, which provides ample room for all your gear inside while carrying two passengers. If you have a board longer than 8' it will fit down the middle, between the front bucket seats.

If I am on a short solo camping trip I often leave everything inside and put a foamy down one side of the floor for sleeping. For my wife and me, I use a roof rack to keep the inside clear of everything but gear bags, which leaves ample room for a 4'wide x 6' long (ie double-bed) foamy with 2' of extra length for a cooler, gear box and bags. The Odyssey has plenty of power and excellent handling. With all gear inside I can get over 30mpg on the I-5 at 70 mph speed. With everything on the roof you pay a fuel penalty of about 4mpg.

We have now graduated to the (expensive) luxury of a truck and camper, but the Honda is still my favourite for day sailing. It's especially good for crappy weather fall/winter sailing because everything you don't use stays dry inside, and the tailgate makes a good rain cover when you're unloading, changing, resting etc. Having everything inside also means I can drive it to work on those "maybe" days and fit in the parkade.

If you look for a used one I would only caution that 2002 and prior were prone to transmission problems, so look for one that's already had that done. I've had no problems with my 2003
Brian C

by LeopardSkin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:57 pm

The top line Honda Odyssey has a built-in central vacuum. I'd get that one.
LeopardSkin

by Brian C » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Yes, the newer models of Odyssey are over-the-top: way overdressed with breakable luxuries. The mid-2000's models were deluxe for their day but still practical. They're basically just an Accord with a big body and tons of usable space (way more than any SUV). I see quite a few handy-man contractors using the older ones as work vehicles these days. A low-mileage, 2003 or newer is still nice to drive and fairly affordable compared to a new Transit. A Delica is certainly way cheaper to operate and has 4WD capability, but primitive to drive and I think they're higher maintenance. Their big attraction is the biodiesel fuel option, if you're up for the hassle of sourcing it.
Brian C

by ezzylover » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:52 pm

I have a nice van for sale , has platform in it , decent on gas and cheap to buy !

Contact at powerhyppo@hotmail.com

You can come and check it out !
ezzylover

Return to Windsurfing