Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Blip of hope Thursday .....or just night wind?

Windsurfing shop talk

by Chris Klohn » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:05 pm

Looks like it cranked all day down south as forecasted two days ago.........
Attachments
image.jpg
Smith Island Hourly Winds
image.jpg (145.05 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
image.jpg
Oak Harbour Hourly Winds
image.jpg (226.26 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
Last edited by Chris Klohn on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:12 pm

[quote="C36"]The Good News
[list][*]There is wind south of us (Smith Island is ramping up - SE 35 gusting 39 @ 11 am)

Hey Dave,

Smith sits just North of the narrowest part of Admiralty inlet and just East of the narrowest part of Juan De Fuca. It'll be windier 99.99% of the time on any given SE day compared to Centennial being in that narrow venturi.

It's usually a very poor indicator for winds at Centennial. I have seen it blow 30-40 knots all day down there without a breath of wind making it to Centennial dozens of times. However, it's a great indicator for spots on Whidbey.

I 100% agree with you though about the conditions when Centennial is going off. Whidbey Island on a SE direction will never get as nice as Centennial on a classic day. JWSP is a whole different story :shock:

I had a look at the archived data for Oak Harbour this Fall / Winter season. There have been 26 days of SE wind since October 1st. On these days the wind averaged 20mph or greater for 4 hours or more. I only looked at the winds that blew over daylight hours.

26/107 Days isn't too bad if you think about it. Just a ton of time driving, sitting in border lineups and burning through fuel :x Tomorrow looks wicked for JWSP but it'll probably be wrapping up by 9am with the timing. Hopefully the switch to Westerly gets delayed but it's not looking great right now.

Cheers,

Chris
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (369.91 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
Chris Klohn

Previous

Return to Windsurfing