Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Wing bladder repair

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:51 pm

Does anyone know where I could get a wing bladder repaired, is it even possible?
Michael

by john m » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:28 pm

Looks like Comox kite repairs does it, there must be something near Vancouver.
john m

by imdmitry » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:41 pm

Depends how bad it is.
Small pin hole hard to find but easy to fix with kit, that may even come with wing. Use soap water to spay to find hole. Search youtube for how to fix kite bladder.
Another option totally replacing bladder.
imdmitry

by Michael » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:28 am

john m wrote:Looks like Comox kite repairs does it, there must be something near Vancouver.

Thanks John, was hoping there was someone in Vancouver as well.

imdmitry wrote:Depends how bad it is.

Thanks Dmitry, It's bad, too big for a home repair.
Michael

by cjsknight » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:36 pm

Hi Michael;
Earlier this year one of the valves on my fone cwc 8m failed. Comox kite repair did a good job fixing it but w shipping over $100.
Recently on a trip, two other valves failed so I decided to REPLACE the whole thing. Ordered from https://drtuba.eu/ a whole new set (4 bladders) and replaced it myself. About $300 w shipping. Good quality product and a good option I think. Wing still in good shape!
cjsknight

by Slappy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:06 pm

Why are all your valves coming unglued though? Sounds like you should be asking Fone for a fix
Slappy

by Dellis » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:30 am

You would be surprised by how big of a tear you can fix in your bladder with peel and stick. Once due to fluky wind I crashed my kite into one of the erosion control timber structures at Crescent beach. The bladder was ripped in an L shape at least 6” long. I repaired it with no issues. You can buy a 3”x12” repair patch at fixmykite for $9.

Aqua seal works great for re-gluing valves with glue failure. Completely remove the valve clean and re-glue. Place TP inside the bladder to prevent gluing it together. Gym welght plates work great for compressing the surfaces together the valve goes through the hole in the plate.
Dellis

by cjsknight » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:40 am

Failure mode was splitting not coming unglued. First one on a trip in the spring. Then it happened again, ironically again in Mexico! I checked and most of the remaining valves had same issue, splitting where the hose connects to the 90 degree elbow.
Kite is ~2 years old and has seen fair amount of use. I bought it second hand but close to new. I always store it inside, but of course sailing in PNW winter means it sometimes goes to bed wet. None of the other wings - including 5m fone - I have had have same problem. I was thinking maybe I’ve been rolling it up too tight, but I don’t think so.
Friend with same wing / same problem bought from North Shore, I believe fone provided a new bladder but he had to pay (maybe just shipping?) and it took several months.
Anyway, as much as I love the two fone wings I’ll probably switch brands, just got a gong upe which seems really nice and you can order new bladders easily through the website!
cjsknight

Return to Windsurfing