Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Help with helmet fit

Windsurfing shop talk

by shmish » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:36 am

I received a helmet from windspirit. I'm totally not sold on the fit. The helmet stays in place when I move my head around but it's not locked in place like a cycling helmet. I don't know if this is bad fit or if I have bad expectations. Can anyone compare my fit to what they have?
shmish

by ZeroR2 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:32 am

I have to get mine out to see. But your straps on the side are not tight. There should be no slack.
ZeroR2

by LeopardSkin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:11 am

That's a horrible fit.

My Gath Hat EVA doesn't budge.
Last edited by LeopardSkin on Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeopardSkin

by shmish » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:47 am

ZeroR2 wrote:I have to get mine out to see. But your straps on the side are not tight. There should be no slack.

Yeah, I can fiddle with the straps some more. My cycling and ski helmets don't slide (with a gentle push) even with the straps off.
shmish

by ZeroR2 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Ok. I just checked. Mine is perfect. I didn't see the "twist tightening system" on the back of your head. I hope you have one. You need to pull it down towards your neck and tighten up. I don't even need the straps... it will not come off with the twist tightening system secured. Of course I use the straps for impact. What size did you get? Based on the looks, medium would be the right size for you.
ZeroR2

by drh » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:11 pm

I have read recommendations that you buy a helmet that provides at least some coverage over your ears because if you crash hard on the side of your head, the force of the water can damage your ear drum. The helmet you are wearing looks like a Neil Pryde. I notice that they make a couple of models of helmet that have ear flaps that extend down from the helmet. Pro Tec, Gath, Mystic, HQ and others also make helmets that have some form of extension over the ear. Although you may not hit the water at that angle very often, it may be something to keep in mind.
drh

by shmish » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:21 pm

ZeroR2 wrote:Ok. I just checked. Mine is perfect. I didn't see the "twist tightening system" on the back of your head. I hope you have one. You need to pull it down towards your neck and tighten up. I don't even need the straps... it will not come off with the twist tightening system secured. Of course I use the straps for impact. What size did you get? Based on the looks, medium would be the right size for you.

It's the medium and has twist tightening. I think it's just the wrong shape, I sort of thought it would be. The NP Freeride is supposedly more narrow and the Slide is more round. From hockey helmets, my head fits better with the old Cooper (round) vs CCM (narrow). Anyways, Windspirit only had the Freeride so I thought I'd take a flyer on it. Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sending this back.
shmish

by LeopardSkin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:33 pm

drh wrote:...if you crash hard on the side of your head, the force of the water can damage your ear drum.

The most common injury from a forward loop is a broken eardrum.

I personally know about 10 guys who have broken their eardrums trying forward loops. One guy did it twice.
LeopardSkin

by ZeroR2 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:52 pm

drh wrote:I have read recommendations that you buy a helmet that provides at least some coverage over your ears because if you crash hard on the side of your head, the force of the water can damage your ear drum. The helmet you are wearing looks like a Neil Pryde. I notice that they make a couple of models of helmet that have ear flaps that extend down from the helmet. Pro Tec, Gath, Mystic, HQ and others also make helmets that have some form of extension over the ear. Although you may not hit the water at that angle very often, it may be something to keep in mind.

This helmet has removable ear protection.

https://www.neilpryde.com/products/helmet-freeride
ZeroR2

Return to Windsurfing