Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Any Wingfoilers On Here?

Windsurfing shop talk

by Slappy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:04 am

grantmac wrote: small boards were easier to paddle back prone if the wind dies right down. Just toe the wing upside down.

I can't see how you'd be better off with a low volume board if the wind dies. Having a board you can kneel on allows you to let the wind pull you back instead of paddling as when the wind dies it's usually still there, just not enough to foil.

On top of that you get the option to knee paddle which is faster and easier for most non-hard core surfer types. Even if you are just prone paddling more volume will generally paddle faster and easier.

I would try and find a thicker board that packs more volume in to a compact shape, something like the Gong Lemon, the 4-10 @ 85L + 5.4 kg or 5-0 @ 100L +5.8 kg depending on your weight.

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... n-fsp-pro/
Slappy

by adam2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:41 am

All of my own understandings about volume come mostly from windsurfing where I would consider 70L to be my low-end cutoff for volume, and it needs to be absolutely snotting to consider taking that board out, I would rarely get, or want to, use it at Squamish. It seems like a wingfoil board this volume, however, is easily doable for winging in Squamish given your success Jonathan with a 51L board.
As for paddling I, like Slappy, would think that larger volume would be useful, unless it's more the big wingfoil boards' width that make them a challenge to paddle unlike say a narrower llongboard surfboard.
adam2

by juandesooka » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:15 pm

My wingboard transition has been 7.6 supfoil to 6.8 supfoil, experimenting with a 5.9x22x2.5, and now a 5x23x5.5 -- rough copy of the Fanatic Sky Wing, approx 70L.

The 5.9 was really hard to knee start, the new 5' board is quite easy ... the extra volume/thickness definitely seems worth it.

Paddling back, more volume the easier, other than a 30" wide sup (unless you have really long arms). Sub 30L is hard, you are pushing water.

For kneeling and using light wind to drift the wing in, my 5' / 70L is just barely doable, I need a little wind to hold me up and balance. Below that volume I think it would get increasingly challenging.
juandesooka

by grantmac » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:32 pm

I'm really just parroting what a few posters have been saying on Seabreese. I know I can prone paddle a 23" wide surfboard pretty easily. My balance was never good enough to knee paddle even a big prone board.
It definitely seems as though the volume limit for slogging back with a wing is much lower than I can possibly slog windsurfing.
I cut down a Robert's 25" to make a windfoil board and it ended up around 85-90L. At 85kg its shin deep just standing on it. Not sure how a 70L board could be above the surface winging.

I've had a few experiences where I went from being nicely powered with a fin to almost complete glass while windsurfing and the tow in was a huge pain. Being able to paddle from ontop of the board would have been much easier.
grantmac

by shmish » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:10 am

What size foils are people using? I wonder if I can use my Moses 790 wing from my windfoil setup. I’d need a different mast though. Not that I need another new sport to learn...
shmish

by JonathanP » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:42 pm

I'm using the infinity 76, pretty similar size/shape to that Moses I believe. Seems to work well, not very fast though can still fly at super low speeds especially with the wing.
JonathanP

by adam2 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:52 pm

JonathanP wrote:I'm using the infinity 76, pretty similar size/shape to that Moses I believe. Seems to work well, not very fast though can still fly at super low speeds especially with the wing.

I've noticed the same with my Infinity 84, it's already a slow wing, but it can wingfoil super slow, much slower than windfoiling.
adam2

by shmish » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:03 pm

Windfoiling is really hard, even if you’re a good at windsurfing

You can learn to wingfoil in half an hour, and you get really good fast

Windfoiling is really fun in light wind and really scary in strong wind, even if you’re good at it (because of the gnarly crashes).

Wingfoiling is easy in all wind

Lots of kids winging, plus the old guys

Every little kid wants to wing

Winging is the best mow the lawn sport at the moment

Windsurfing slalom is the best if you want to go fast, windfoiling is the best for light winds, wave sailing (windsurf) is the best for waves and kitesurfing is the best if you want to jump high in flat water. Maybe winging is a really good introduction to all of this.

https://windsurfing.tv/video/15-robby-naish-the-windsurfing-podcast/
shmish

by Domd » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:09 pm

JonathanP wrote:I'm using the infinity 76, pretty similar size/shape to that Moses I believe. Seems to work well, not very fast though can still fly at super low speeds especially with the wing.

I’m windfoiling with the 76 also with a115 litre board. I want to get into wing foiling but wondering which ideal wing size to get first. I’m 200 pds and will mainly use it in Squamish. What do guys suggest?
Domd

by grantmac » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:21 pm

+2000cm2 and higher aspect than the Slingshot wings would be my recommendation.

I've gotten my wings but not the board or foil so I've tried my windfoil board and foil, this didn't work particularly well but I did manage to get foiling.

Tonight I tried something different and used a skateboard in a well lit parking lot. This was extremely fun and a very useful experience. I'd recommend doing it for an hour or so before hitting the water for the first time.
grantmac

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing