Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Nexan channel

Windsurfing shop talk

by Ryan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:29 pm

I was sailing up and down today and doing one of my usual crashes and the RCMP came up to me in a boat and asked, "do you know this is a Nav channel", I said yes, I always look both ways, he gave me a thumbs up. He then I shouldn't be playing in the channel, I said yes, I usually cross quickly, another thumbs up and they were off.

Yesterday there was a fishing boat that came down the channel at full speed, horn blaring while windsurfers, kites and wing surfers were everywhere. Also a bunch of guys in a speed boat who weren't looking where they were going.
Ryan

by nicolas » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:06 pm

Yes Ryan I totally agree with you regarding the fishing boats. Lots of time they zoom by and barely pay attention to us windsurfers, kiters and wingers. RCMP should rather focus on those guys well said!
Last edited by nicolas on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
nicolas

by raquo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:57 am

Annoying. As far as I can tell, the actual shipping lane on the nautical chart ends just 40m south of the mouth of Mamquam blind channel (see grey arrows on chart).

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.co ... /-123.1618

Even if it was a shipping lane you can still cross it while watching for traffic.

Anyway, in practical terms, best not to linger in that area anyway, but we shouldn't think that we can't sail south of Mamquam blind channel at all. It's basically almost half of the usable Nexen sailing area, west-to-east.
raquo

Return to Windsurfing