Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Booties for year-round

Windsurfing shop talk

by LeopardSkin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:20 am

shmish wrote:
telus022420 wrote: If your foot is STUCK in the straps they're too small.

I've seen two schools of thought on this. .

The current trend for the last 15 years or more, is to have big straps.
LeopardSkin

by LeopardSkin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:22 am

shmish wrote:
LeopardSkin wrote:Thus in-store purchasing is best.

I guess that's Northshore Ski and Snowboard. Anywhere else?

Maybe Aerial Kiteboarding in Squamish.
LeopardSkin

by telus022420 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:37 am

I would watch the Guy Cribb footstrap video again. Strap size dependent of the style of windsurfing; look at the board control big vs small strap. Footstrap quide at 31:38.
telus022420

by juandesooka » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:57 am

Kiter/winger/surfer experience...

Thin sole surf booties are flexy and you get a nice feel of the board, but they wear through super quick if kiting strapped (maybe similar in windsurfing?) and they don't give much protection/comfort if you are in spots that require a lot of walking on rock. Once soles wear through, they are cold and get slippery. I use whatever brand I can find cheapest, but xcel 5mm and 7mm are the main ones. The hotline 5mm are more durable. I try to reserve these for surf use as much as I resist though, otherwise they won't even last a season.

Thicker sole booties are great for durability and protection, but you lose the board feel. This is a problem surfing, but not an issue if strapped. These are the latest purchase, chunky and clunky but really solid and fairly cheap:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5021-651/ ... Boots-High

These were the go to for years, as they were $20 at Capital Iron in Vic, I wouldn't pay $100 for them though
https://www.amazon.ca/Deep-See-Atlantic ... B0124S6EP0
juandesooka

by grantmac » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:39 pm

I use the MEC booties but I sand the sides so they don't hook the straps.
Also some straps are better than others for use with boots.
The newest Starboard race straps are excellent as are Simmer wave straps.
grantmac

by tattooedferret » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:07 pm

tattooedferret wrote:I've just got some of the Xcel split toe boots in 3mm (but they come in a bunch of thicknesses).

Thanks. How do you like the split toe? I've never tried a pair on and I'm not sure why a person would want to split between their toes.[/quote]

They are a bit weird at first, and I'm still breaking them in but apart from some toe rub on my index toe (uuuhhh is that what it's called?) they are great, a bit tight but I'll deal with that. I also run a claw glove for snowboarding and it's a similar feel to that.
tattooedferret

by JonathanP » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:30 am

Split toe gives you a lot more sensitivity/control with your big toe and more grip as that toe can curl a lot more on it's own. They're great for surfing where you want more fine-tuned control and feel, but if your riding in straps, not much of an advantage. I have a hammer toe on one index toe that was irritated in a tight fitting split toe bootie before breaking it in.
JonathanP

Previous

Return to Windsurfing