Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Starboard SuperCruiser

Windsurfing shop talk

by ZeroR2 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 pm

telus022420 wrote:I know of one person who bought a 2020 Wizard and SS 76 package. It was delivered from Windance had to pay GST&PST but no duty.

I should have been explained it better. GST & PST plus brokerage fees to import. UPS hit me hard recently for a $150 item. $30 in custom brokerage fees.

https://www.ups.com/ca/en/shipping/zone ... rance.page

Fedex might be better. Just be prepared.
ZeroR2

by shmish » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:33 pm

UPS is the worst. When they ask for $40 from me, I tell them I’ll clear it myself. You drive out to their facility near Iona, get the paperwork from them, drive to the customs office at YVR, give them the paperwork and pay any duties, take the receipt and go back to UPS and then pick up your goods. At least that’s what I did the last time I used them years ago. I generally refuse to buy if the goods are going to be shipped ups.

So no additional duties other than sales tax?
shmish

by ZeroR2 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:22 pm

shmish wrote:UPS is the worst. When they ask for $40 from me, I tell them I’ll clear it myself. You drive out to their facility near Iona, get the paperwork from them, drive to the customs office at YVR, give them the paperwork and pay any duties, take the receipt and go back to UPS and then pick up your goods. At least that’s what I did the last time I used them years ago. I generally refuse to buy if the goods are going to be shipped ups.

So no additional duties other than sales tax?

I haven't paid anything except 12% on value of good from USA. From Europe I haven't paid anything (EU). But I get most from USA and to mailbox in Blaine. Again, borders are not opening soon, so that puts a dent on everything.
ZeroR2

by Michael » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Thanks for everyones help! I got a Moses 1100 from Sailworks.
Michael

by Mike » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:27 pm

That's awesome Michael. You're all in now! Next we need some lightish wind days without other distracting wind options. Not much on the foreseeable future, though, I keep my eye on Harrison. Haven't pulled the trigger there yet for foil but maybe soon.
Mike

by BigD » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Michael wrote:Thanks for everyones help! I got a Moses 1100 from Sailworks.

That's a massive wing, on par with the infinity 84. Nice! See you out there soon!
BigD

by shmish » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:01 pm

Silent sports says they will get more slingshot foils in next week. I’m also thinking about the Moses 790, I was thinking about calling sailworks but the price is kind of freaking me out.

Michael, did sailworks say anything about board shape for that foil? Does it’s higher aspect want a wider board? What convinced you on the 1100?
shmish

by Michael » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Mike wrote:That's awesome Michael. You're all in now!
Yup, stoked just need some wind.

BigD wrote:That's a massive wing, on par with the infinity 84. Nice! See you out there soon!
:D

shmish wrote:What convinced you on the 1100?

Rob Mulder :D
I'm going to be mainly sailing on Okanagan lake in the summer so I needed something that will get me going in very light winds, we will see how it goes. I got the 95cm aluminium mast to keep the cost down. I have a Starboard 4 in 1 hyper nut so it's really wide anyways but Sailworks didn't say anything about that being an issue. What board are you going to use, your Fanatic? What's the fin box? I'm going to sell my 2018 Naish foil and I just checked with Bigwinds and the newer wings are compatable, also Rob has an AFS foil and a starboard foil for sale.
Michael

by grantmac » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:47 pm

My buddy (200-205#, very athletic) wrote this elsewhere about the 1100.
He is using a 79cm Roberts foil board:

I demo'd another big wing on Sunday in the gorge. Moses 1100. Span 1100mm. Area 2200 same chord as my Moses 790 so much larger aspect ratio. Quite thin - used the same screws as the 790. A little less area, more span and a lot less chord/ higher AR than the I99.

I rigged a 5.6 and went out with no caps. I logged ~ 27 miles in wind that had lulls in low single digits and gusts to over 25 with quite a bit of sustained 20 kts.....so a lot more wind than the foil needed for most of the time.

Bruce told me to put a 2 degree shim on the stab to balance out the greater lift and as a result, it felt very similar to the 790 - as far as how it felt, behaved, handled -I probably wouldn't have noticed anything if I had just hopped on it - other than it it gets going in quite a bit less wind and keeps going in no wind. As big as it is, it is pretty amazing how friendly it remained when it was blowing easily hard enough for me to be on the 5.6 and a medium slalom board. Points upwind like crazy - I was a little less comfortable going deep down wind when it was lit up. Still fairly playful / turny compared to the 790. Bruce says he has hit 27 on it with a powered up 8.5M - I only hit 20...which is about the same as I typically hit on the 790. I'm going to keep it. Pretty sweet light wind foil for big guys that can keep going when it gets windier.
grantmac

by Michael » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 am

grantmac wrote:My buddy (200-205#, very athletic) wrote this elsewhere about the 1100.
He is using a 79cm Roberts foil board:
Thanks Grant, that sound positive for sure.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing