Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Bear Creek

Windsurfing shop talk

by ShonanDB » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:48 am

Here is a pic from the main campsite. The North end had a little bit of a beach but there are trees that could make things challenging.
Attachments
20200607_133712.jpg
20200607_133712.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 6601 times
ShonanDB

by C36 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 am

Family camping trip to get out of the city for a few days with a chance of windsurfing. Funny part is the day with the 'weakest' forecast was the only one that kicked.

Puffy frontal wind but it was fun to get out on the fresh water in the sun and broken cloud. Water was rolling even though the wind was light and hinted at how fun this spot must be on a windy day. About 25 years in the making, it took COVID-19 restrictions to finally get me out there.

Grader showed the rumours of tire slashing shale are true. Even with the challenges everyone who did the trip out said they would come back.

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)
C36

by jtorva » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:00 pm

I have been considering Bear Creek for sometime now. I'd love to join you on your next trip up. Let me know when your headed there next.

Shoot me a text, I got a new phone and don't have your number anymore.

SixOfour 55ONe twenty75Five

Jordan
Jordan
jtorva

by Brian C » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 pm

Glad you scored at least a taster of what Bear Creek has to offer, Dave. Mokka and I were there for a few days last summer- the first two were light but sailable on big gear or foils, but the third day proved how special it can (occasionally) be. Weather was sunny and hot in the Fraser Valley but clouding in at the Coast, driving a solid and very steady thermal. I was on 4.7 and had one of my best sessions of the year, loving the clean 3’ lake swell. If only these conditions were common there, it would make up for the sketchy road!
Brian C

by C36 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:54 pm

S1 – Bear Creek (2020 July 19)

Puffs. Delayed in town and in Harrison. Brian C and Mocca are campground neighbours (just leaving the water with 6.5 when I arrived). Got on the water (6.1/116/28) about 6 pm and milked the evening puffs. A few rides and lots of tacks s wind had west in it and was only on the east half of the lake. Lake has dropped about three feet in a month. Kites launching from the point above the river (day trips with boats). Wind felt warm at (like an unstable afternoon at Squamish when the City is too hot). Then the evening cool-down happened and it got a touch stronger and more stable. Dinner on the beach in the evening twilight.

S2 – Bear Creek (2020 July 20)

4 pm. Consensus on the beach was lighter, if at all, today. Morning SUP paddle to the cliffs to the north then to the south up past the waterfall to the third point (entrance to the cove with the cabins). Wind line appeared and then melted away. Lunch then hike up to the Bear Creek falls at Brian C`s suggestion – thanks Brian. When we arrived back about 4 pm the wind line had appeared and it looked good. Brian C was on it and getting rides right across the lake and was able to drive upwind. Steve opted for windsurfing hull instead of foil to start. Early reports from the water were ‘better’ than yesterday. I took same as yesterday (6.1/116/28) but with much better results – I was windsurfing today! Wind kept coming and finally rigged down to 5.3/23. Solid wind, the swell was choppy. Fun session with lots of stoke on and off the water. What a nice surprise! I asked one local why he has chosen to come today and he replied, “It was the hottest day of the week. Even if the wind didn’t show I was going to cool down in the lake!” Some wisdom there.

S3 – Bear Creek (2020 July 21)

Early. Early start with solid wind from the start. Took out big gear early (6.1/116/32) to grab a bit of what was on offer. So spoiled up it felt like I could sail upwind all the way to town if I wanted, but the water was shaping up with nice ramps so went in a grabbed 5.3/23 and got some of that too. But the partial clouds rolled in and caused the wind to get really funky. Came in and grabbed some late afternoon lunch hoping the trailing clear sky would bring the wind to rebound, and it did, but only for big gear. Always fun getting wet on a travel day. Three for three on this trip so overall average is up to four for six. Harrison break wall was busy with windsurfing foils when I drove by.

C36

by Brian C » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Great running into you at Bear Cr, Dave. We just got home from 5 days straight of sailing, which I consider exceptional for Bear Creek.
Tues pm cleaned up after you left and we had solid 5.0 conditions from 5-630pm. Some lake swell was forming but not as good as I have seen previous years.
Best conditions were on Wed: heavy morning cloud burned right off to produce a full afternoon of 4.7 conditions with a fun mix of swell and a bit of chop.
Today was shaping up as a repeat but with a later start so we sailed it a bit earlier than ideal on 5.5/110 gear, departing at 430 pm for the drive home. Still fun for a departure day though!
An unusual year on Harrison lake: very high water, lots of bugs, but better sailing than I recall.
Brian C

Previous

Return to Windsurfing