Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Foiling Boundary Bay

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Wed May 13, 2020 4:22 pm

So I suck at foiling. Was only able to get up on the foil 3 or 4 times and for a very short time. Seemed to be pumping like made only to suck all my energy and not get going. Turned into a 2 hour slog fest. I need to come down to Jericho and get some lessons from the pros. Besides the foiling it was nice to get on the water. Had a young whale rise about 10 feet behind me. There have been whales in the bay for about a week now, 4 adults and 2 babies. Foiling in Boundary Bay has its issues, you need to watch the tide, I had a long walk through the waist deep water to get out and even longer when I returned. I was surprised I didn't catch any weeds though. There were 3 or 4 kites foiling as well and they didn't seem to have any problems with the weeds. The upside is I managed to catch a few nice swell rides and get up on the foil, I can see some potential there when I actually figure out how to do it. I'll definitely try again when we get some more wind.
Michael

by JonathanP » Wed May 13, 2020 5:25 pm

Just keep at it! Might help trying to adjust some positions, etc. When I first started my foil was too far back and I had to really lean back to get it to fly and never found a balance point that enabled me to get power out of the sail while on the foil. Moving the foil forward a few inches was like night and day. Your center of gravity and the center of power in the sail and wing work well when all centered lengthwise for cruising.

Pumping takes some time to figure out. It seems to work best like a mix of foil pumping and sail pumping at the same time but yeah it is extremely exhausting. Lately I won't have enough power to get on foil without pumping, but will still be up foiling with plenty of power 90% of the time. I usually start by bearing off a little bit downwind and initiate the pump by bringing the sail back along the length of the board forcefully. Then continuing to pump sail and foil almost like a skateboard ollie. Once you get planing comfortably should be enough speed to lean back a bit to slowly rise on the foil, then pointing cross or even a bit upwind will increase the apparent wind and with the foil speed you'll get more power that way. Wiggleing around a lot helps too for getting a feel of how the foil reacts to different foot/body positions.
JonathanP

by Michael » Thu May 14, 2020 12:49 pm

JonathanP wrote:Just keep at it! Might help trying to adjust some positions, etc.
Thanks for the tips Jonathon, unfortunately I can't adjust my foil as it's a Tuttle Box. I'm using the Starboard Hyper Nut 4in1, the newer model has the adjustable mount but not mine. I'll keep at it for sure!
Michael

by Mike » Sat May 16, 2020 8:14 am

Michael wrote:
JonathanP wrote:Just keep at it! Might help trying to adjust some positions, etc.
Thanks for the tips Jonathon, unfortunately I can't adjust my foil as it's a Tuttle Box. I'm using the Starboard Hyper Nut 4in1, the newer model has the adjustable mount but not mine. I'll keep at it for sure!

Hi Michael, Ok, this might be "the blind leading the blind" I have a couple of suggestions.

#1 start with more wind (solid 15-16 is likely ideal) This is should be enough to go without pumping (or minimal). Leave developing light wind pumping for later.

#2 IF needed, you can still move your mast track and footstrap positions to balance. I'm sure they designed it so it can work.

Take the above for what it's worth from a 1 time newbie. By end of 1st session I could foil as long as I wanted (mostly even). I will not lie. First part of session was a cardio. Wind was up and down. Part 2 of session had better wind but this time it was a shoulder workout. I commited to not hooking into harness line in anticipate of the grand catapults (none yet...). This was no different that regular windsurfing with out harness lines. Mind you, I was controlling my speed to slow/medium. Next time - harness lines, start work to flying jibes (progression) and (probably) catapults. Still look for 15-16 knots.

Another thing - the gear is ridiculous to carry. Likely a high tide event only or two walks to the deep water (board then sail).
Mike

by Michael » Sat May 16, 2020 8:46 am

Mike wrote:Hi Michael, Ok, this might be "the blind leading the blind" I have a couple of suggestions.
Hey Mike, thanks for the tips. I didn't know you had a started foiling, what board and foil are you using?

Mike wrote:#1 start with more wind (solid 15-16 is likely ideal)
For sure the few times I was able to foil was when the wind picked up.

Mike wrote:#2 IF needed, you can still move your mast track and footstrap positions to balance. I'm sure they designed it so it can work.
I was thinking about mast truck position, I just had it in the middle. The only footstrap position is very outboard or in the centre, which I think they put for SUP foiling?
Michael

by Mike » Sat May 16, 2020 9:40 am

I pulled the trigger and went with the slingshot program. Seem to best suit me. That is, not all about straight line speed. More freeride, manouver, and light wind possibilities. Also opens up other sailing options such as Harrison. Will see where it goes and maybe it's too optimistic
but I've got my eye on up and downwind flying 360s.

Hope to see you out there soon as nice to be "troubleshooting" with someone at the same stage.
Mike

by Michael » Sat May 16, 2020 10:51 am

Mike wrote:I pulled the trigger and went with the slingshot program.

What size board and foil? I was hoping to get out again today, TAF showing E 12g22 at 3pm but I'm not sure about foiling on an Easterly, water might be too shallow.
Michael

by adam2 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:24 am

Michael, if you are dying to get out and don't mind the drive an easterly Jericho may work this afternoon. The predicted a.m. wind is late coming in. Just like on westerlies, the windsurf launch is always deep enough and there are never weeds. It's the best spot to launch from on easterlies right now until all the parking lots are open again. The tricky part is getting parking these days, but you may luck out and get a gravel spot since it's been raining.

Here is some easterly foiling from yesterday morning when the Jericho meter was reading 10-12kts. https://youtu.be/YPOz7omCxJE
adam2

by Michael » Sat May 16, 2020 12:02 pm

adam2 wrote:Michael, if you are dying to get out and don't mind the drive an easterly Jericho may work this afternoon.
Thanks Adam! Things are picking up here so I think I'll stick around, might even be able to windsurf. A few kites out now but still only E 18knots at the moment. Thanks for the video looks fun! What size sail were you on?
Michael

by adam2 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Michael wrote:
adam2 wrote:Michael, if you are dying to get out and don't mind the drive an easterly Jericho may work this afternoon.
Thanks Adam! Things are picking up here so I think I'll stick around, might even be able to windsurf. A few kites out now but still only E 18knots at the moment. Thanks for the video looks fun! What size sail were you on?

That's way more wind than Jericho right now. Let us know how it goes at BBay! I was on a 7.3 with the 84cm Infinity in the video.
adam2

Next

Return to Windsurfing