Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Paint or repair?

Windsurfing shop talk

by shmish » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:34 am

ZeroR2 wrote:Is that your new 2020 Blast? How is it (except dings)?

So far so good. Just before lockdown I had my best day on it at Jericho. It's pretty fast and much easier to jibe than my seatrend accelerator. It took me a while to figure out the shape a bit, I was very used to much narrower boards and I didn't realize just how far outboard I was putting my weight prior to planing. Totally fun day even with it being only about 6 C (but sunny). I wish I could take what I learned that day about the board and go back to my previous half dozen sessions on it!

It's 115 L and for me it's working well up to overpowered on 5.5. FWIW some heavier guys were sailing on 7.0 cammed sails while I was overpowered on a 5.5 retro. Any more wind and with my size I'd want to get on a smaller board.
shmish

by ZeroR2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 am

shmish wrote:
ZeroR2 wrote:Is that your new 2020 Blast? How is it (except dings)?

So far so good. Just before lockdown I had my best day on it at Jericho. It's pretty fast and much easier to jibe than my seatrend accelerator. It took me a while to figure out the shape a bit, I was very used to much narrower boards and I didn't realize just how far outboard I was putting my weight prior to planing. Totally fun day even with it being only about 6 C (but sunny). I wish I could take what I learned that day about the board and go back to my previous half dozen sessions on it!

It's 115 L and for me it's working well up to overpowered on 5.5. FWIW some heavier guys were sailing on 7.0 cammed sails while I was overpowered on a 5.5 retro. Any more wind and with my size I'd want to get on a smaller board.

Great. My 2018 Blast is sitting in the USA (145liter/foil approved). I know you were waiting for the 2020 model in your size with foil capabilities. Did you get a foil yet/

Also, if you don't want to repair yourself, call Chris.

https://wetworksglassing.com

But that looks like something you can do yourself.
ZeroR2

by grantmac » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:17 pm

I use UV stabilizer epoxy then generally don't bother painting. On white boards I've used krylon fusion with success. You may be able to color match it close enough.
grantmac

by shmish » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:22 pm

grantmac wrote:I use UV stabilizer epoxy then generally don't bother painting. On white boards I've used krylon fusion with success. You may be able to color match it close enough.

I didn't think to ask for UV stabilized epoxy. I might be able to return mine and get something else. Epoxy is expensive, especially if you're just using it for small batches now and then. I recently had to throw out an expired batch and I had hardly used any of it.
shmish

by shmish » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:24 pm

ZeroR2 wrote:Great. My 2018 Blast is sitting in the USA (145liter/foil approved). I know you were waiting for the 2020 model in your size with foil capabilities. Did you get a foil yet?

No. Maybe if I can get down to the gorge this summer and try one out. Or borrow someone's here in Vancouver. I don't really want to spend $1500 and find out that it doesn't work well for me and my board. Having said that, AFS in their promo videos shows them using their foils with the Blast, so it can't be that bad!
shmish

by tweegster » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Resin tint, or actually pigment to be accurate in this case.

I bought mine from swell composites in Richmond. Call and make an appointment first, but I am now using them. They have their own suppliers, but also do bulk orders from shaper supply (who I also used directly). Was same cost or cheaper, support local and dont have to mess with boarder.

I think resin pigment mini tubs are 15 bucks for an amount that would last you eons. You only use a drop or two.

Pigment is solid color, tint is translucent.
tweegster

by tweegster » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:59 pm

Almost all surboard resins are uv stable now. Painting clear is cosmetic and a touch of insurance against any micro holes in your work. Brushed gloss coat works too, but really overkill for a small patch.

Dont discount the use of stickers. :mrgreen:
tweegster

by Michael » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:20 pm

tweegster wrote:I bought mine from swell composites in Richmond.

Thanks, that shop looks great! Is it new? Closer to my place than fiber-tek as well. :D Have you used any of their blanks?
Michael

by shmish » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:34 pm

tweegster wrote:Almost all surboard resins are uv stable now. Painting clear is cosmetic and a touch of insurance against any micro holes in your work. Brushed gloss coat works too, but really overkill for a small patch.

Dont discount the use of stickers. :mrgreen:

What do you suggest for paint? Spar urethane? I check with my epoxy, it's not uv stabilized.
shmish

by tweegster » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:55 pm

I have not used the blanks, but they looked good. I chose to make my own from scratch as it was $10 vs $150.

I am using minwax polyacrylic satin, which I read about on swaylocks and am really and am really happy with. However, I dont think it is uv inhibited, I would think automotive type clears will work good.

Swaylocks has an overwhelming amount of info.
tweegster

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing