Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

How would you start over again?

Windsurfing shop talk

by ZeroR2 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:36 pm

Friend of mine that is in his early 50's and lives in the Fraser Valley (closest spot is Harrison Lake) asked me the question. I would like to know if you went back in time and started windsurfing. What would you do different?

My advice is to get a few lesson, get a cheap long board (learn the basics) and start foiling ASAP. Get a second short board for high winds. Keep in mind he only has a lake to windsurf and driving to the ocean is not feasible.

How would you do it again? What mistakes did you make? Go back 10, 20 or 30 years and apply this to today's gear (foiling/ long boards/sails).
Last edited by ZeroR2 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroR2

by adam2 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:54 pm

That sounds about right to me. If used high wind boards weren't cheaper on the used market than high wind foil wings I'd say just skip this step altogether
adam2

by grantmac » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:52 pm

Longboard for cheap plus modern 7.5m

Then get a foil capable shortboard. Add a foil once you are comfortable blasting in the straps.
Add a 5 and 3.5m

Somewhere after this point itll either be a hobby you don't need to spend anything more, or else you'll start traveling and wanting gear for winter storms/Gorge/Oregon Coast.
grantmac

by Slappy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 am

Don't underestimate how close Bellingham can be from the valley. Sumas and Aldergrove crossings are usually pretty chill and you'll find more wsurfable days a year in Bellingham Bay than you will in Boundary Bay.
Slappy

by AlexK » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Best advice and I have given this to a friend previously. It worked for him.
Take 3 months off in summer.
Go to Maui.
Learn to kite with instructors package. Then buy the gear. Then kite there to get confident.
Come back with the gear and use it on the lake.
Winsurfing is too difficult. Too much big gear to carry. Getting old with big gear may cause injury.
That's coming from a 1.windsurfer/ 2. Kiter
AlexK

Return to Windsurfing