Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Top 5 places to live on coastal BC

Windsurfing shop talk

by shmish » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:15 pm

We’re starting to think about 10 year plans and the possibility of moving out of Vancouver. My hobbies - cycling, windsurfing, hiking - would play a part in that. What do you think are the top places to live in the lower mainland/Sunshine Coast/Vancouver Island for windsports?

Doug
shmish

by ZeroR2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Vancouver Island is more affordable if you are retired. I live 10 min. from the Indian Arm and it is the most beautiful area around. I feel sorry for all the folks that are living on top of each other. I guess it all depends on how much $$$ you have. BC is very beautiful, but the southern part of WA close to the Hood River would be my retirement spot. I love Napa Valley and San Fransisco, but you get everything right there that is needed. Ok, back to your places. If money isn't an issue, anything between Vancouver and Squamish, Indian Arm and if funds (like most of us are limited) you need to go to Vancouver Island. Would love to hear from the rest.
ZeroR2

by shmish » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:47 pm

My wife seems to like the idea of Qualicum and although afaik it’s a pretty small and sleepy town, it also is right by Columbia Beach. CB seems to often have strong wind forecasts but I have no idea what it’s like to windsurf there.
shmish

by max.spock » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:32 pm

CB is pretty great on a strong forecast..
max.spock

by grantmac » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 pm

I vote Nanaimo. Fast access to lots of sailing (NW in the summer, SE in the winter), plus you can day trip (or camp) Nitinat if you have a truck.
grantmac

by Michael » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:20 am

shmish wrote:My wife seems to like the idea of Qualicum and although afaik it’s a pretty small and sleepy town, it also is right by Columbia Beach. CB seems to often have strong wind forecasts but I have no idea what it’s like to windsurf there.
I've thought about moving to the Parksville/Qualicum area. It's really nice plus close to Columbia Beach and Pipers, a 2 hour drive to Long Beach and close to Nitinat for the summer.
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:52 am

grantmac wrote:...plus you can day trip (or camp) Nitinat if you have a truck.

I know a windsurfer who goes to Nitinat in a Nissan 350Z 2-seat sports car. A truck isn't absolutely necessary.
LeopardSkin

by Slappy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:23 am

I'd stay out of Nanaimo personally.

Have a look at Lantzville and Parksville.

I also would recommend checking out Courtney too, it's pretty nice and still has most of the stuff you need while not being too far away with the Island Highway.
Slappy

Return to Windsurfing