Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary vs Tsawwassen on Low Ebbing Tides

Windsurfing shop talk

by mjamero » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:13 pm

In what conditions/tides is Tsawwassen a better choice over Boundary Bay?

It looks like there will be a good SE this weekend. Unfortunately, it will also be a low 1.5m tide right in the middle of the day. Boundary Bay is good in theory except that a good portion of sailable days are write-offs for us windsurfers because of the low tides and long walks.

On a S or SE and low tide is it better to go to the SE side of the Tsawwassen causeway rather than go to BB? How would the two locations compare in wind and tides?

I've only sailed at BB (Centennial) twice and never have sailed at Tsawwassen. Thanks for the feedback.
mjamero

by Michael » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:05 pm

mjamero wrote:In what conditions/tides is Tsawwassen a better choice over Boundary Bay?
Not many, if the tide is low I'd much rather do the walk from the boat launch than sail Tsawwassen. Especially if the tide is ebbing, that really is the best set up for Boundary Bay. However if the tide drops below 2.5m then move from Centennial to the boat launch, that's good until about 1.5m, I've walked out to almost the mile marker, below 1m, a few times if the wind is good enough for small gear it's worth it! Even for big gear it can be awesome out there if things set up. On a few occasions though I've gone to Tsawwassen when the wind hasn't filled into Boundary Bay, the problem is when it's SSE the wind is very on shore at Tsawwassen, it sets up nicely on a SSW wind though.
mjamero wrote:On a S or SE and low tide is it better to go to the SE side of the Tsawwassen causeway rather than go to BB?
If you are short on time, the wind is really south or just don't want to walk then yes, but the sailing conditions are never better at Tsawwassen, unless it switches to SSW.
Michael

by Slappy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:37 pm

The conditions at BBay make the walk worth it but if you really wanted an easier walk I would try Gabe's beach, Gulf Rd, and Lighthouse Park.

All those spots are in the USA so bring your passport.
Slappy

by Michael » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:59 am

Slappy wrote:The conditions at BBay make the walk worth it but if you really wanted an easier walk I would try Gabe's beach, Gulf Rd, and Lighthouse Park.

All those spots are in the USA so bring your passport.

Gulf Rd would not work well on a SSE wind, and due to the amount of shore break at Gabe's Beach and Lighthouse Park I would say they are best for more experienced sailors, especially on big days! Lighthouse Park has a nasty current at times as well so be careful if you do go.
Michael

Return to Windsurfing