Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Fall sailing spots

Windsurfing shop talk

by ppjutras » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:39 pm

I've recently moved to Squamish... But now the summer wind patterns are getting to an end.

Which spots should I be looking at to get some decent swell / wave sailing this fall? (without getting on the ferry for the Island or stepping on a plane for OGG)!

Thanks
PP
ppjutras

by Michael » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:20 pm

ppjutras wrote:Which spots should I be looking at to get some decent swell / wave sailing this fall?
Nothing that close to you unfortunately, Boundary Bay, best on a S toSSE, Acadia on a North Westerly/ Westerly and White Rock from SSW to North West ( Rare ), look at the Sailing Site Info on the right side of the page for more about these spots. You might be able to score a session around West Van, maybe around Ambleside but I'm not familiar with that area.
Michael

by imdmitry » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:20 pm

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=896#p9800

This Saturday, you can have a chance to check 3d Ave at Boundary bay.
imdmitry

by Slappy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Assuming wave sailing is windsurfing you'll want to head to the 1st Ave Boat ramp as the tide will be a bit low for Centennial this Saturday I think.
Slappy

by ppjutras » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Slappy wrote:Assuming wave sailing is windsurfing you'll want to head to the 1st Ave Boat ramp as the tide will be a bit low for Centennial this Saturday I think.

Yep I was talking about windsurfing!
Thanks I'll keep an eye to the 1st Ave Boat ramp!

Cheers!
ppjutras

by grantmac » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:22 am

Don't some very adventurous folks sail outflows at Furry Creek?
grantmac

by JonathanP » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:52 pm

grantmac wrote:Don't some very adventurous folks sail outflows at Furry Creek?

*Arctic outflows - the strong north winds are quite cold! Though maybe not too bad in the fall? You could also sail just north of the spit where it becomes onshore with a north wind. Easier to get to shore in case of a breakdown, but its perhaps gustier than Furry Creek?

There's a road just north of murin lake down to the sound. I think the gate is usually closed, but if not could be a good sailing spot with a cross-on launch. Seen some big waves there in a winter outflow, but was far too cold to go out for me!
JonathanP

by C36 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm

grantmac wrote:Don't some very adventurous folks sail outflows at Furry Creek?

JonathanP wrote:*Arctic outflows - the strong north winds are quite cold! Though maybe not too bad in the fall? You could also sail just north of the spit where it becomes onshore with a north wind. Easier to get to shore in case of a breakdown, but its perhaps gustier than Furry Creek?

There's a road just north of murin lake down to the sound. I think the gate is usually closed, but if not could be a good sailing spot with a cross-on launch. Seen some big waves there in a winter outflow, but was far too cold to go out for me!

I'm personally not a big fan of outflows so my experience is limited with them, but François often sails at both Furry Creek and the spit so I asked him why he chooses either on a given day and he said often one is clearly favoured (wind speed higher) at one versus the other.

The spot you mention north of Murrin looks interesting (Watts Point?) but it would be a long walk down if the gate were closed. Anyone know what the industrial activity in that area is?
C36

by Craig » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 am

watts point is a gravel pit/quarry.
Craig

by C36 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:05 am

Craig wrote:watts point is a gravel pit/quarry.

Thanks.
C36

Return to Windsurfing