Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

What is your most used board in lower mainland?

Windsurfing shop talk

by shmish » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:02 pm

grantmac wrote:What fin box is in the seatrend?

Tuttle
shmish

by grantmac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:09 pm

I'd look at getting an easy beginner foil for the Seatrend (NP Glyde comes to mind) and then invest in a decent 80L FSW. Doesn't need to be new, the used market for that size board is pretty strong.

Eventually you can upgrade the big board to a modern 105L FSW.

Definitely invest in a good wetsuit. The right thickness for early and late season squamish, but with an added layer plus hood and gloves usually works well through the winter.

P.S. as a second thought I'm selling a couple of my backup boards. A 130L Mistral Explosion I put a foil box in and also an 85L Thommen. I'd be motivated to sell both at a VERY attractive price and I'm fairly certain they are at least 10 years newer than what you've got.
grantmac

by shmish » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:30 pm

I found a new carbon 2017 Tabou 3s 86L for $1300US and a 2018 Fanatic Freewave stubby 85L for $1300cdn.

I like the 3S a bit better because it has inner and outer straps. Perhaps it’s a bit easier to sail but I’ll never know. That’s $400 more for the straps.

Thanks for the offer for the Thommen and Mistral but I’m going to try and get my first new board since 1986. I haven’t run this past my wife yet.
shmish

by grantmac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 pm

3S is more oriented towards flat water blasting although I wouldn't bother with the outboard straps.

The Stubby is closer to a modern wave board. It'll feel like a very strange board coming from what you've got.

Best of luck with the spousal approval. In your shoes I'd look for a board I could foil first, the range of conditions you can cover with a single board/foil combination is massive. Then get on a cheap 80-85L FSW for winter sailing.
grantmac

by Mike » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:09 am

I'm about 80kg so factor that in for my comments:

- Re your concern about 4.0 on 85L Fanatic Freewave being big: I've rented that Board and was on 4.0 and it rocked! I actually have the Starboard freewave 86L and use 3.7 sometimes with good results. Note: when I first got the Board I personally found the stock fin size (and my previously used weed fin) too big and it killed the manevourability. I go 20cm weed fin or single 21 regular wave fin for sails 3.7 to 5.3 with little to no loss of early planning.

- I've used a aftermarket 26cm B&J fin at Squamish. Great speed and a little more lift over chop but loss of manuevourabilty. This is a rare use for me as I use other gear at Squamish.

- I only used the 85L Fanatic Freewave in high wind which I thought it excelled. Can't speak to it's low wind range.

- My Starboard freewave 86L has a huge wind range excelling in the low end for Board size. I rarely uphaul but have done (challenge).

- I think freewave design is best alround for the reality of local sailing. Not as maneourable as full wave design but "rangier". Not as fast as slalom or freeride but more manouveuarable (with small fin) which you want at Boundary Bay on the storm days. If you only plan to use it at Squamish and your sailing style is mainly cruising I gotta wonder if you're better off with a slalom or freerace design??

- If I didn't already have an 86L I'd probably snatch the Fanatic before you at that price for new. However I'd probably research the low end range first. I think the shortness give high wind control but wonder if there is a loss to low end planning.

Good luck!
Mike

by Ryan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 pm

85kg. Absolutely 100l freestyle fanatic skate. It doesn't matter is you don't freestyle, this type of board is the best all around board. Early planing, and very forgiving on gybes and any other moves.

The new Starboard Egnite Freestyle even has outboard foot strap options if you aren't a Freestyler.

I exclusively use this at Squamish and Nitinat, and only get on my wave boards when it gets above 25 knots at Acadia or Boundary.

My rule of thumb. Bigger board, body weight plus 15 to 20, smaller board, body weight, plus 0 or 5, 5 if you're lighter.

Just get a freestyle board, Skate 2017 or newer, or a recent Starboard, probably 2018 or newer. 90 for your weight.
Ryan

by DavidJames » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:49 am

I've used a lot of boards over 38 years and I've gone faster, jumped higher and carved bigger waves always on a Roberts. Rob can make what you need to suit every style and the money stays in Vancouver and keeps a bunch of guys employed......dale cook so high!

DavidJames

by AlexK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:28 am

Hi Shmish
Think new school. Not old school.
U r 66 kg. Perfect.
Go demo a 4 in 1 SB Hypernut 6' 10 And u have 1 board u can use almost everywhere. Foil it at Jericho with your sails. Foil it in Squamish with small sail (3.8 -4.2). Take it into waves on the coast with a sail or paddle. I think it is worth every penny & u don't need tons of gear to carry around.
AlexK

by Ryan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:41 pm

This is an option if you have lots of money. Freewave, Freestyle and foil in one.

https://www.mb-boards.com/e/windsurf/wildcat.asp

Ryan

by john m » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Slingshot Levitator 160
levitator 160.jpg
levitator 160.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 13319 times
[attachment=0]levitator 160.jpg[/attachment has been my most used board ever.
john m

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing