Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Pistol River 2019

Windsurfing shop talk

by 8mdude » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:50 am

C36 wrote:
8mdude wrote:@C36 how’s the wind for the coming week. It seems nothing? I’ll stay here at SF until the wind decided to show up north

Forecast is lighter than typical, but today was workable and looks like the next cycle has started in earnest. It could be pretty special when the swell turns back on.

But remember rule number 1 (Don`t leave wind to find wind). :D ;)

Thanks Dave. I’ll stay here at SF seems windy at least 25 knots everyday this coming week. I’ll try it out the open ocean too.
8mdude

by C36 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:28 pm

S28 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 30)

Mist. Morning fog and south wind yielded to northwest wind about 12:30. Wind was punchy at first and built quick so the strategy of 4.5 on 116 then 92 worked, until it didn`t (even 92 got to be too big). There were a few gems to be had (background south swell that stayed clean and open and allowed multiple hits. Tony was sailing with authority and we shared a party wave! Tony `thumped` into something in the water – Tsawwassen`s wildlife friend? When our gear got too big it was time to check out The Rock.

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)

S29 – windsurf – Pistol River (2019 June 30)

Dunkinguy. Dunkinguy and Dunkingal swung by the Cape upon arrival and then took to the water at The Rock. The S2 development team was laying down moves and releasing the hate. Dunkinguy looked to be having fun. I quickly rigged and joined in for a quick cool down session. I managed a couple of jumps and a decent frontside smack. Dunkinguy mentioned this was a great into to trip! Nice and playful!

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)
C36

by LeopardSkin » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:18 am

C36 wrote:Tony `thumped` into something in the water – Tsawwassen`s wildlife friend?

Yes my fin dug into something soft. More of a glancing blow. Didn't fall, so I came in. Saw a big dark mass under the water from shore. It was probably just a shark, NBD.
LeopardSkin

by Alton » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:43 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:It was probably just a shark, NBD.

It's all fun and games ... until someone loses a leg :shock:

Alton

by C36 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:49 am

S30 A, B, C – SUP/wind-SUP/windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 July 1)

Preview. More Mutts today (Udder and DavidM). Full day at the Cape, especially give the ‘light’ forecast (some doubted if it was even going to happen today – silly that).

A - SUP: Morning local surfers warmed up the waves. SUP with Udder. A few party waves (one where Udder was right of the peak and I was left of the peak) and one where I dropped in on Udder (by accident) – but we are still friends.

B – SUP-sail: The wind came up so stuck a sail on it. Fun working the waves and enjoying the free-ride out. Shared a party wave with Udder and startled him with my “Wooo Hooo!”

C-windsurf: Tried as the marine layer went inverted (inland – bad). Delayed and took to the water again while DavidM was out and Moo, Udder and I headed out. Frustrating at first, the wind picked up and swell picked up. A couple of memorable rides. Turned myself into a ‘sugar cookie’ a few times by sailing into the low-tide sand beach. Dunkinguy rode until the end and shut the show down.

Quote of the Day
Udder: “Day One and Still Having Fun.”

C36

by C36 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:14 pm

S31 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 July 2)

Ankle Bitters. Mix of locals and tourists, kiters and windsurfers at the Cape today. Brooking surfer Woody opened the day catching waves in the lee of the island. AJ arrived today and sailed the Cape. South swell was rolling through in earnest at first, then picked up, then melted away. Early into the session the tide flooded to a very nice depth, wind was solid, waves to be had and lots of people to share the stoke with. Even Leo was at the Cape today. Dunkinguy aborted a back loop and landed with one foot still in the footstrap –he still seems operational. Same board and rig for the whole session (a little light at first out with Moo, then just fine).

Old Whitie and still more Mutts (Windsurfish, Janetfish) also arrived and all sailed The Rock. Laughs over dinner at the Porthole. Beautiful day!

Last edited by C36 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by Chuck » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:02 pm

:D :D :D
Awesome pics C36!! Thanks for the stoke, wish I was down there with you guys!
Great to read the sesh reports and love the pic of the backside surf kite roll (Tony2/Moo?), the happy surf Puppers but dammit AJ needs a surfboard!!! :P
Off to Onterrible for the family obli-cation for ten days, hope to visit Oregon tail end of the month, provided you all left any waves/wind for us late comers!
Will ding my (borrowed) fin on Black Rock at Sunset for you in Cwood!
Safe travels
Chuck

by 8mdude » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:09 pm

What a day at Cape Sebastian! All lined up: Wind and Wave.

Wind : 25 gusting 35 knots NW
Wave: 7 feet high and clean break and manageable space in between

Fully powered on 3.4m/83 L board today. Should have been on 68 L but I got lazy switching gear.

More to come this week. Come on out!
8mdude

by LeopardSkin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:11 pm

8mdude wrote:What a day at Cape Sebastian!

Yep, was decent.
LeopardSkin

by C36 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:13 pm

8mdude wrote:What a day at Cape Sebastian!

LeopardSkin wrote:Yep, was decent.

:lol:

S32 A + B – SUP + windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 July 3)

Icing on the cake. Day 21 and done! Day started with a quick solo SUP (three close-out waves with foam pile rides to the beach) – positioning was hard. Wind came up quickly so switched to windsurfing gear. Moo and I took to the water first and Moo hit a rather larger set of south swell and he asked, “What happened to my warm-up?” It was a challenging session with big payoffs and a few smack downs (late hits were punished without reservation). There was a lots of water moving around today. As I came off the water I mentioned to Dana how glad I was that the last day of my trip and not my first. When I was chatting to Udder about how few days out trips overlapped this year he mentioned that it is all about quality not quantity. Saw Tony catch his first wave of the day before I left – nice! Later he texted that this session was the biggest of his life!

Hope those still there and those with trip to come have as much or more fun as I did! Many thanks to all who share the time and space with me – it was super fun!

C36

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing