Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Gale is back in town!

Windsurfing shop talk

by bandito » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 pm

o my god south 32 g 38 at ferry, thats were they went! im going, HAAAAARRRRGGGG
bandito

by Adrian L » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:02 pm

bandito wrote:not one kite at bb now, weird

NO KITES ON THE WATER! Must be only Windsurfers. Lucky dogs...
Adrian L

by bandito » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:55 pm

mistake 101 of active extreme multi sports day: do not go visit your girlfriend between skiing awesome westcoast powder and wanting to go Windsurfing high winds after, you are Not going to make it to the waters! o well....
bandito wrote:o my god south 32 g 38 at ferry, thats were they went! im going, HAAAAARRRRGGGG
bandito

by Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Surprisingly low turn out (and there were kiters out).

Hit water @ 8:15 to challenge very high tide, shore break, SERIOUS wind and logs. All of that was actually quite manageable but forgetting to zip up the wetsuit was not :oops:

Started solo. Sent a few texts in wonder. A small number of the truly committed did arrive :D .

It was generally workable with 74L board (first time this year) & 3.7 sail, ie. not "survival sailing" for the most part. Hands did suffer some so was probably doing some death gripping. Varied water conditions including really nice BB waves.
Mike

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Mike wrote:Surprisingly low turn out

Mike wrote:A small number of the truly committed did arrive :D .

It's a Tuesday and most of us have jobs (that don't offer the kind of flexibility a windsurfing millennial such as myself might appreciate).... :roll:

Hearing of logs makes me slightly less pissed I missed it. My new board is allergic to logs.
AdrienGrelon

by Michael » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Like Mike said, some serious wind. It was a bit of a shock to the system after Maui, both wind strength and temp. After my Maui experience I figured I'd be killing it at Boundary Bay but it was more like BBay was killing me! :lol: 3.7/80L was good most of the time but I only felt in control about 30% of the time. Was so lit at times jumping and jibing were a challenge. The waves were good for a while but near the end became disorganized and choppy, which was weird as I thought there was going to be some epicness as the tide dropped! Best BBay day this fall for sure, looks like this week will bring a few more days like today. Small turnout for such an epic day. Thanks for the text Mike, I have to admit I was a little slow getting going this morning. :D
Michael

by Brian C » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Glad a few of you had fun this morning. After getting home Thursday night from 12 days of sailing in boardshorts and rash guard in La Ventana, I couldn’t bring myself to sail in 6C and cold rain. Looks like Whistler should be good for the rest of the week, so I think I’ll opt for a few days in the mountains to get used to the cold again.
Have fun in the waves!
Brian C

by Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:It's a Tuesday and most of us have jobs (that don't offer the kind of flexibility a windsurfing millennial such as myself might appreciate).... :roll:

Been there and I know the pain. I understand workplace flexibility has become a big deal (maybe because of the "Y" generation?). Maybe time to have chat with the boss... Emphasise engagement and commitment to sticking with a flexible workplace. As long as they believe it's first about operational requirements, you're golden.
Mike

by adam2 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 pm

It was nice to finally see some real fall wind come through on the cam this morning, even better to see that some of us were able to get out and enjoy it.
adam2

by Adrian L » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Mike wrote:
AdrienGrelon wrote:It's a Tuesday and most of us have jobs (that don't offer the kind of flexibility a windsurfing millennial such as myself might appreciate).... :roll:

Been there and I know the pain. I understand workplace flexibility has become a big deal (maybe because of the "Y" generation?). Maybe time to have chat with the boss... Emphasise engagement and commitment to sticking with a flexible workplace. As long as they believe it's first about operational requirements, you're golden.

You know at my place of work we have a lot of skiers who swear by the "20cm rule"
I should have pulled the 30kts card today!!
Glad you guys scored! Remember don't forget to zip up the suit before sending it! Lol ;)
Adrian L

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing