Windsurfing Skeleton Bay

Windsurfing shop talk

by ShonanDB » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:43 pm

ShonanDB

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Unbelievable vid!
AdrienGrelon

by C36 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:13 am

Surreal! Like watching subconscious dreams spill out into reality. Pretty sure they’re all glad they went.
C36

by Faceplant » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:22 am

I enjoyed that video while watching last night too, and my 4 year old. You know what's kind of sad though, is with the internet all you have to do is google "directions to skeleton bay" and it's all right there. Prior to this, I'm sure it was an empty wave that a few lucky folks knew about.
I'm torn... One hand I love footage of epic waves and now with drone footage, and the footage from the vehicle driving along the wave is epic. The other hand - Rule #1 no one talks about fight club.
Now I'll contradict myself completely and thank you for sharing. :oops:
Faceplant

by AdrienGrelon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Agreed, but this spot has a few natural deterrents: Sharks, access and generally extremely treacherous beaches/waters (rips, punishing waves: those head high waves seemed to eat a lot of gear, etc, no rescue boat launches for hundreds of km). I doubt the place is going to get hoards of tourists tomorrow. There's a reason it's called the Skeleton Coast... was in the area a few years ago during a family trip. It's as exposed and savage as it gets. Just looking at the ocean there gave me chills.

That moving shot, following the wave, was unreal! Still trying to figure out what they were doing @5mins. Trying to recover a rig that got washed down the beach across a sketchy lagoon?!
AdrienGrelon

by Slappy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:29 pm

This spot also didn't exist 20 years ago and probably wont 20 years from now due to sand flow on that peninsula.

https://www.swellnet.com/news/surfpolit ... e-foretold

It's also a very fickle wave that needs correct swell size and direction and happens to be a 24h drive from Western civilization.
Slappy

by LeopardSkin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:39 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:...was in the area a few years ago during a family trip...

Did you ride any swell?
LeopardSkin

by AdrienGrelon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:11 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:
AdrienGrelon wrote:...was in the area a few years ago during a family trip...

Did you ride any swell?

No. I spent one hour at Big Bay in Cape Town watching (no time to rent gear) and almost cried.
AdrienGrelon

by Adrian L » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Here is another good one! super rad!
https://youtu.be/EDmJPNHo-c4

Waves that thick would shred windsurfing gear most definitely!
Adrian L

by C36 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:19 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:Agreed, but this spot has a few natural deterrents: Sharks, access and generally extremely treacherous beaches/waters (rips, punishing waves: those head high waves seemed to eat a lot of gear, etc, no rescue boat launches for hundreds of km). I doubt the place is going to get hoards of tourists tomorrow. There's a reason it's called the Skeleton Coast... was in the area a few years ago during a family trip. It's as exposed and savage as it gets. I just looking at the ocean there gave me chills.

That moving shot, following the wave, was unreal! Still trying to figure out what they were doing @5mins. Trying to recover a rig that got washed down the beach across a sketchy lagoon?!

:shock: You've been on some interesting 'family trips'.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get my family out there. :D ;)

Just noticed that first video shows jamie hancock in credits for Film / Edit / Drone (that explains part of the magical feel).
C36

Next

Return to Windsurfing