Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui Report

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 pm

johnny2 wrote:Solid day 4.5/78L with head high waves at Lowers. Again windguru under reported the wind. 13-15 was actually 25-30 knots. Swell forecast was correct at 2.1m.

Awesome, nice pictures. I saw a bunch more on the friends of Kanaha facebook page. Some epic shots there from Jaws as well. Keep on charging bro, wish I was there with you!!
Michael

by Michael » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Faceplant wrote:Big waves! Seems odd, in a place where consequences can be huge that the rules are not followed. I'm guessing you had priority on the wave and the guys heading out should have given you the wave?
The power of the ocean in Hawaii is intense! I can't imagine going down in the wave with gear. Have fun!

I think a lot of people try to follow the rules but you need to be aware that some don't. Not usually on purpose but things can get scary out there when it's big and it usually about trying not to get crushed buy those waves. That's where most people on Maui learn to wave sail and most locals are very patient and understanding, they are aware that anything can happen out there so pay attention. I know my first few times there I made some kook moves but that was my first experience in the waves.

Faceplant wrote:I'm guessing you had priority on the wave and the guys heading out should have given you the wave?
Actually the sailors heading out have right of way over those coming in. It easier to move when you're under the power of the wave and not a sitting duck slogging out through the impact zone.
The tack in Maui is different but the same rules apply.
Michael

by johnny2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Heads up people. Another stretch of good wind and swell coming up. Better book your tickets and get over here. 3m swell
Attachments
windguru.png
windguru.png (260.28 KiB) Viewed 12554 times
johnny2

by C36 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:05 pm

J2: Keep the posts coming! Love the shot of the mast-high conditions.

:idea: If you want an open section of the break all to yourself, head over to the "weird wave", pretty sure you'll have it all to yourself. :D ;)

Faceplant wrote:Big waves! Seems odd, in a place where consequences can be huge that the rules are not followed. I'm guessing you had priority on the wave and the guys heading out should have given you the wave?
The power of the ocean in Hawaii is intense! I can't imagine going down in the wave with gear. Have fun!

Michael wrote:I think a lot of people try to follow the rules but you need to be aware that some don't. Not usually on purpose but things can get scary out there when it's big and it usually about trying not to get crushed buy those waves. That's where most people on Maui learn to wave sail and most locals are very patient and understanding, they are aware that anything can happen out there so pay attention. I know my first few times there I made some kook moves but that was my first experience in the waves.

Faceplant wrote:I'm guessing you had priority on the wave and the guys heading out should have given you the wave?

Michael wrote:Actually the sailors heading out have right of way over those coming in. It easier to move when you're under the power of the wave and not a sitting duck slogging out through the impact zone.

Michael wrote:The tack in Maui is different but the same rules apply.

Thanks for posting M. One additional point is the in/out rule appears to differ for windsurfers/surfers and kites (see below).

Strangely hard to find videos on windsurfing surf rules, but here is one that is pretty clear.

Rules that Apply to All (Surfing/SUP, Windsurfing, Kites)
  • first one to catch wave (under power of wave) has right of way
  • two catching at same time, closest to the peak has right of way
  • never drop into a wave from the backside (risk to unseen surfers or swimmers)
  • on long or multi-section waves its OK to drop in ABOVE waverider who has rights so long as you stay well clear/above them and do not interfere with their wave in any way (the more distance the better), but NEVER below (spoils their down-the-line path) unless the waverider with right of way invites you on with a call for "party wave"
  • starboard (right hand forward) has right of way over port in flat water areas away from the waves (like in the flats on the inside at Kanaha - just to add to the confusion)

Rules that Differ (Surfing/SUP/Windsurfing versus Kites)
  • OUTBOUND windsurfer (sitting duck) has right of way over incoming or waveriding windsurfer (for reasons M mentioned above - more options with power of wave; also note outbound rider should make every reasonable effort to avoid intentionally interfering with inbound riders clean line - that's the 'don't be a buzz kill' clause)
  • INBOUND kiter has right of way over outbound (waveriding) kiter
C36

by Michael » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:11 pm

johnny2 wrote:Heads up people. Another stretch of good wind and swell coming up. Better book your tickets and get over here. 3m swell

Done, arrive Sunday night! :D :D :D :D :D
Michael

by Brian C » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Awesome Michael! Have a great time in Maui. Hope you get good wind like we’re having in Baja. Mokka and I have sailed 8 out of ten days so far, mostly on 4.8 - 5.3m sails. Nice swell but nothing like the Maui waves, of course. Awesome weather here too - only bothered with a wetsuit on the two windiest days so far!
Hope you score lots of fun TOW!!
Brian C

by bandito » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 pm

I watched The 3min Video and its seem right. reading the comments below about sitting duck versus kiter versus windsurfer versus surfer is just confusing me.

I Surfed 5 years straight at 5 months a year =25months. Here the rules.

The One who drop in the wave the Deeper (where the peak start either barely having an angle yet or deep angle close out as the Right of this wave . Anybody coming in after in front or behing The Rider(Droping In) is wrong. I don't care what is the direction of wind and maritime boat right of way, the one on the Wave as the right of way. Surfing,Suping,Kiting,Windsurfing,boogieboarding, all the same.

Problem occur when the same people Snake around you(get closer to the peak a little bit) and keep droping the waves First over n over again.Very frustrating when theres 40 people for a set of 7 waves I tell you!That is the main reason I quit Surfing Barra Nexpa , very aggressive /localise/great riders take all. I Then Started Kiteboarding.i still think Windsurfing is closer to the real thing as you can drop the sail and surf the wave better then Kitesurfing.But I don't windsurf as I am a wimp wt my armslol

As the sitting duck /going out on a Coming set of waves(normally 5-8 waves every let say 15min) riders, They should try to get out of the way by either riding out and where the wave is not peeling down yet, duck dive, or even start riding on shore wt the close out section of the wave and then try again to ride out.Definitely make an effort Not to hit the Wave Rider and be out of is way. I know I did when I was a surfer. I also didn't like kiters and windsurfers and SUP when I was a Surfer only.

Of Course the Wave Riders should NOT hit someone and make Good effort in Riding the wave for no accident and keep riding the double plus overhead ;)

C36 wrote:J2: Keep the posts coming! Love the shot of the mast-high conditions.

:idea: If you want an open section of the break all to yourself, head over to the "weird wave", pretty sure you'll have it all to yourself. :D ;)

Michael wrote:I think a lot of people try to follow the rules but you need to be aware that some don't. Not usually on purpose but things can get scary out there when it's big and it usually about trying not to get crushed buy those waves. That's where most people on Maui learn to wave sail and most locals are very patient and understanding, they are aware that anything can happen out there so pay attention. I know my first few times there I made some kook moves but that was my first experience in the waves.

Michael wrote:Actually the sailors heading out have right of way over those coming in. It easier to move when you're under the power of the wave and not a sitting duck slogging out through the impact zone.

Michael wrote:The tack in Maui is different but the same rules apply.

Thanks for posting M. One additional point is the in/out rule appears to differ for windsurfers/surfers and kites (see below).

Strangely hard to find videos on windsurfing surf rules, but here is one that is pretty clear.

Rules that Apply to All (Surfing/SUP, Windsurfing, Kites)
  • first one to catch wave (under power of wave) has right of way
  • two catching at same time, closest to the peak has right of way
  • never drop into a wave from the backside (risk to unseen surfers or swimmers)
  • on long or multi-section waves its OK to drop in ABOVE waverider who has rights so long as you stay well clear/above them and do not interfere with their wave in any way (the more distance the better), but NEVER below (spoils their down-the-line path) unless the waverider with right of way invites you on with a call for "party wave"
  • starboard (right hand forward) has right of way over port in flat water areas away from the waves (like in the flats on the inside at Kanaha - just to add to the confusion)

Rules that Differ (Surfing/SUP/Windsurfing versus Kites)
  • OUTBOUND windsurfer (sitting duck) has right of way over incoming or waveriding windsurfer (for reasons M mentioned above - more options with power of wave; also note outbound rider should make every reasonable effort to avoid intentionally interfering with inbound riders clean line - that's the 'don't be a buzz kill' clause)
  • INBOUND kiter has right of way over outbound (waveriding) kiter
bandito

by Mike » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:39 am

Michael wrote:
johnny2 wrote:Heads up people. Another stretch of good wind and swell coming up. Better book your tickets and get over here. 3m swell

Lucky son #!&$@^#!

enjoy!
Mike

by Michael » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:28 am

Brian C wrote:Awesome Michael! Have a great time in Maui. Hope you get good wind like we’re having in Baja. Mokka and I have sailed 8 out of ten days so far, mostly on 4.8 - 5.3m sails. Nice swell but nothing like the Maui waves, of course. Awesome weather here too - only bothered with a wetsuit on the two windiest days so far!
Hope you score lots of fun TOW!!

Thanks Brian, glad to hear you've scored some nice wind and weather down there.

Mike wrote:Lucky son #!&$@^#!
enjoy!

Thanks Mike! :D :D I'll keep you posted!
Michael

by Chuck » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Michael wrote:

Maui No Ka Oi!

Do I smell Party Wave?!
:P :D :D :D :P
Chuck

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing