Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

south Oregon coast 2018

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 pm

DAYS 1+2

S1 – Cape Sebastien (2018 June 13)

Cloudy (with a chance of wave sailing). 24 hours travelling down. Had the post-travel-funk. Morning rain had cleared before I got to the coast. Arrived to find clean waves in Port Orford and light wind at the Cape. Opted for the Cape. A few lingering pro’s, Redbaron, and a few of the locals including Luke. Some of the locals were calling it a sub-par session, but I enjoyed getting wet and the clean modest waves and lighter wind made for a fun session. Lots of waves to go around. A few memorable rides. One gear-striping closeout (and swim). One folding on demo gear. Thanks to Fanatic Jonathon for the stubby 88 demo – fun board that (floats well for an 88 and felt loose on the wave). Thai food dinner in Brookings. Dark starry night at Harris Bar NFS site. All good!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

S2 – Cape Sebastien (2018 June 14)

Windy. Ran some errands in Brookings. Checked out the surf break on the south side of the river beside the harbour – nice clean lines that reminded me of the wayside at Port Orford. Also checked out the break at the Brookings sign north of town – peaky break that looked like Wick. Next stop the Cape. Arrive about 10 am it was windy already. Luke was already out with a few of the pros and he scored a few nice bombs. Johnny, Heather, and Vero arrived today to join the south Oregon coast party!

Decided to rig 4.0/92 – a touch light, and let the “hate” come to me. Super fun racing out with power in the inside gusts, no so much on the inside lulls (got rolled standing still in the impact zone during ill-timed lulls more than a few times). Saw Tsawwassen and his stunt double (KP) catch consecutive waves and a party wave. Tsawwassen seemed to like his Kode custom demo. Saw the pros throw down some moves I have never seen done at the Cape before – takas, gouters, back loops (landed cleanly) – super impressive to see it in person. Wind kept amping up. Even KP said it was “windy”. Called it after a spell of ‘full hate’.

One guy did an unplanned downwinder to Pistol River (trouble controlling his gear on the outside). Good of Heather, and Vero to go down and give him a drive back.

Redbaron and Tsawwassen took to the water again, but I just wasn’t feeling the pull.

Then took a quick look-see at the south jetty and saw Dana take to the water but opted for Super Burritos instead (shredded beef with green sauce for me) then off the campo.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
C36

by Michael » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:25 am

First few days have been great. Light wind to start then full on yesterday. Wasn't sure how I'd handle Adrien's Kode at the Cape but that board rips! Fun sailing with the pros, those guys are next level! :o Thanks again for all the pictures Dave!
Michael

by ShonanDB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:31 am

Great pics as always C36. How long you guys down there for?
ShonanDB

by Michael » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:57 am

ShonanDB wrote:Great pics as always C36. How long you guys down there for?

I'm only down until Tuesday or Wednesday, Dave will be down longer.
Michael

by C36 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 am

S3 – Cape Sebastien (2018 June 15)

Firstimer. On the water before 9 am and overpowered on 4.5. Uber low tide made for some modest shore pound on the ‘flat’ conditions. Vero’s first wavesailing session and she did well – some down-the-line and even went for that ‘extra’ hit! Dana graciously offered to take some photos and even caddied my board up the hill. Took a second shift on 4.0/74 to take in ‘the hate’. Then off to Crescent City – the ocean was alive at Brookings.

Slideshow

S4 – Crescent City (2018 June 15)

BYOT. We arrived to find the best conditions of the my three visits and ended up sailing the worst of the three. Jessie got the last of the good stuff then made the leftovers look easy (they don’t call him ‘the king of slog ‘n ride’ for nothing). It wasn’t. One carbon base was crushed by a mean growler (Tsawwassen’s). To make matters worse there seems to be a toilet paper shortage in Norcal – better bring your own! Grilled surf and turf on the beach thanks to Redbaron, Tsawwassen, and Johnny. Twilight drive and overnight camping to sleep amongst the giants in Redwood National Park. Time well spent in Norcal.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:25 pm

S5 – Cape Sebastian (2018 June 16)

3.4. Surf check at Crescent City. Errands in Brookings. Wind/swell check at the rock. 215 mile relay team runners. One ‘cheerleader’ doing handstands atop rental van in wind gusting over 40 mph. Rigged 4.9/74 at the cape. Rigged down to 3.4 before took to water as the 'hate' had arrived. Michael and Switzerland Michael were the first two out. Jessie brought back loop in nose first. Comfy (as can be expected for the cape) on 3.4. Jumps jibes and rides. Fun that! Switzerland Markus sailing 4.4! Just say yes to the 3.4! Thai food truck and campo to round out the day.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by C36 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:15 pm

S6 – Cape Sebastian (2018 June 17)

Fathers (on the water) Day. Mellow, fun, gentle, playful, warm – all words heard on the beach to describe this session. First out then the whole crew followed on the freshening wind. Even rode a wave with two of my boards (one driven by Johnny).

Quotes of the day:

Clayton: “You guys choose a good week to come down – both wind and swell.”

Me: “Which do you like better the strong wind of yesterday or the gentle wind of today?”
Swiss Markus: “Strong wind good. Light wind good. Big waves good. Small waves good. Surf good.”

Slideshow

S7 – Cape Sebastian (2018 June 17)

Gear rinse. Waited out the fog-powered ‘power hour’ of 4.2 while Jessie was out on the water. I did some landscaping instead. Once the wind backed a little I returned to the water for a short cool-down stint to rinse my gear. Shared a party wave with Swiss Markus. Saw Swiss Michael nail an air flaka. More fun in the sun!

Slideshow
C36

by Ryan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:37 am

Hey Dave. Thanks for the pictures and update on your trip. Wish I was there.
Ryan

by Mike » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 am

Ryan wrote:Hey Dave. Thanks for the pictures and update on your trip. Wish I was there.

Like Ryan said.

I have to confess to a "little" envy. Will join one day.
Mike

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Dana's black/white color combo looks pretty savage!

Enjoy while it's good. :D
AdrienGrelon

Next

Return to Windsurfing